Automotive Testing Services
From headlights to mufflers, chassis to interiors and everything in between, Intertek offers the professional automotive testing and certification services manufacturers and OEMs need to set their products apart
Automotive products today need to be safe and strong. Is your chassis built to defend against salt spray erosion? How does your engine respond in high altitude? Will your vehicle or component withstand years of vibration?
Intertek can help substantiate the durability of the engine or shocks, for example, or collaborate on a build of specific test methods for key areas of product development. Expedite environmental exposure testing for everything from -45°C to 177°C, optimize thermal shock or tensile strength testing, targeted electrical testing, and much more. Automotive testing supports materials testing, performance testing, research and development, safety, and certification for both established and developmental alternative energy fuels and new technologies.
But Intertek offers much more than automotive testing and certification; we are a Total Quality Assurance provider. Through our global network of state-of-the-art automotive testing labs and industry-leading technical expertise we provide innovative and bespoke Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification services throughout the operations and distribution chains delivered consistently with precision, pace and passion, enabling our customers to power ahead safely.
Our areas of expertise include:
Autonomous and Connected Vehicles:
Achieve compliance with all testing and design criteria required to launch your autonomous vehicle solution.
- Dedicated short range communications (DSRC) testing & certification
- Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) testing
- Track and On-Road Fleet Testing
- ISO 26262: Functional Safety
- UL 4600: Standard for Safety for the Evaluation of Autonomous Products
- ISO 21434: Automotive Cybersecurity Solutions
Expert services for liquids in the automotive industry offering independent tests for customer-oriented solutions based on modern laboratories.
- Dust separation test
- Lubricants & Fuel Systems
- Testing fuels / oils - engines and laboratories
Electrical Components and Electronics:
Ensure that your systems and components are compliant with SAE, OEM, E / e-Mark and other related national and international regulatory standards.
- Adaptive Beam Headlight Testing
- Accredited EMC test
- Automotive Electrical Testing
- Battery Test
- Buzz squeaking and rattle (BSR)
- Durability Testing / Life Cycle
- EMC Testing for Automotive Components
- Environmental Testing
- Fault Check (FMVT)
- Noise measurements (Sones, dB)
- Altitude simulation
- Measuring technology
- Automotive Lighting & Headlamps Testing
- Protection against intrusion/penetration (IP)
- Telematics & Wireless Testing
- Vibration Testing & Analysis
Electro Mobility / Electric Vehicles:
As world leader in testing and certification of electric vehicles and related charging systems, Intertek is further investing in keeping the pulse of time in the area of renewable and clean energy. This allows you to bring your products faster than other competitors to these rapidly growing markets.
- Sustainability Solutions for Electric Vehicle (EV) Batteries
- Automotive Battery and Electric Vehicle Testing
- Electrical vehicle component testing
- Services in the field of electro mobility
- Electric Mobility
- Battery test electric vehicle
- Charging Infrastructure
- Interoperability Services
- Environmental performance
- Battery safety testing
Materials and Components - Composites, Plastics and Metals:
Intertek supports developers and manufacturers of automotive materials with expertise in the field of plastic materials, composites, components and metal. Intertek experts in automotive materials understand the behavior and properties of automotive materials and have the latest laboratory equipment and techniques.
- Automotive Materials Weathering Testing
- Chemical Testing and Analysis
- Permanent function test
- Final product inspection of automotive components
- Polymers & Plastics
- Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) Services
- Quality control
- Automotive Materials Testing
- Environmental exposure (-45 ° C to 177 ° C)
- Automotive Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Testing
- Approval test (OEM - Animal) (à to be developed)
Engine and Gears:
Intertek test services for automotive engines and drive trains help to develop optimal products. Intertek offers options for a wide range of customers in passenger cars, trucks and high-performance engines sectors.
- Engine Research, Development and Emissions
- Noise measurements (Sones, dB)
- Gear test
- Engine Endurance and Durability Testing
- Automotive Internal Engine Tests
- RDE / PEMS test
- Dust separation process
The range of simulated and accelerated Automotive Environmental Testing options provided by Intertek brings your automotive products an assurance that they are ready to weather any environmental challenges that may come their way, rain or shine—or freezing temperatures and corrosive salt.
IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Management Systems Certification:
An effective and consistent management system is both imperative and required for organisations in the automotive industry. Intertek's Total Quality Assurance experts assess your organisation to the IATF 16949 standard as well as relevant industry standards such as ISO 14001, and ISO 45001 to assure to you and your customers that you are committed to excellence and continuous improvement.
As the complexity of vehicle technology is constantly increasing, cooperation between OEMs and specialized test partners is gaining importance. Complete inspection of the system should assure your product to perform in all driving situations.
- Field Performance Data Collection and Analysis
- Driveline test (including hybrids and eMotors)
- Fleet Testing Services
- Dust-settling method
- Environmental exposure (-45 ° C to 177 ° C)
Vehicle Testing Services:
Our in-lab, closed course (track), and on-road fleet testing solutions provide Total Quality Assurance to passenger and heavy-duty vehicles.
- American Center for Mobility Powered by Intertek
- On-road or closed course (track) vehicle and component testing
- Arizona Mobility Test Center Powered by Intertek
Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Testing
Intertek has been accredited for material testing by automotive market leading OEM(s) and works with customers on VOC issues to minimize problems before they arise in the field, providing VOC and aldehyde-ketone emission testing for materials and products.
Standards We Test For:
Intertek Transportation Technologies is ISO 17025 accredited to conduct thousands of electrical, chemical, and mechanical tests for full vehicles, automotive components, products and related systems. Some of the standards we test to include:
- JIS / JASO
- OEM Standards (Ford, GM, Stellantis, VW and most all global automakers)
- Functional Safety (ISO, IEC, UL)
Consulting: Project management; Wireless; EV charging stations; Drive by wire; EMC; Signal integrity, power integrity analysis; High speed analog/Digital circuit design; Mixed signal design, RF circuit design; Low noise analog circuit design; Cavity and structural resonance analysis; Interconnect analysis; CST microwave studio, Agilent ADS, HyperLynx; HSPICE, MatLab. Mathcad/Simulink; Sonar system design, Display system design; EMC/EMI simulation and design for EMC; Cadence, Altium Mentor Graphics, PADS; OrCAD, Cadenace SpectraQuest; Switching and linear power supplies design; Design team management
DVP&R Support: Engineer a Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R) for your products.
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA): Utilize FMEA at the start of your product and process development to ensure potential problems and actual errors are considered and addressed throughout your development cycle.
Production Part Approval Process (PPAP): Verification of material acceptance in the Automotive Industry.
Test Development: Create new test methods based on your specific objectives.
Test Equipment Design: Draft and build customized test equipment available to purchase.
Fixture Design: Originate and build fixtures and support structures needed for testing your products.
Dimensional Analysis: Using Intertek’s CMM and 3D scanning/printing capabilities, we can quickly analyze and determine dimensional variances in prototype, production, and CAD models. This service can also be used before and after testing to monitor for dimensional stability.
Data Acquisition/Monitoring: Design and develop systems to collect, monitor, and control data and communications to your products; for example, monitoring/controlling CAN bus data flow, strain gauges, and digital and analog I/O.
CAD and FEA: Enjoy full CAD capabilities, as well as stress analysis capabilities using finite element analysis (FEA).
Need help or have a question?
Fleet Testing via KJ Tech
Recently, Intertek acquired KJ Tech Services GmbH, a leading provider of full vehicle, component, lubrication and fuel, and on-road fleet testing services to the automotive and
heavy truck industries since 1989.
Providing global solutions, KJ Tech, headquartered in Griesheim, Germany, offers a portfolio of services including full vehicle on-road fleet testing, data accumulation, test method development, industry benchmarking, and analytical assessment of components, systems, lubricants, and/or engines.
Find further details regarding KJ Tech’s expertise in fleet testing here: http://www.kjtech.de/en/
- Automotive Functional Safety & Cyber Security FAQs
- Development of Driveline Electrification Technologies White Paper
- Understanding Failure Analysis and Answering your Frequently Asked Questions
- The Top-7 FAQs of Autonomous Vehicles Testing
- The Top-10 FAQs of Advanced Composites Testing
- The Top-10 FAQs of Automotive Interior Testing
- Is Your Product Tough Enough for Automotive? Webinar
- Accelerated Stress Testing to Manage Disruptive Market Changes Webinar
- Transitioning to Structural Composites to Meet CAFE Standards
- Automotive Interiors Testing White Paper
- IEC 62133 Tipsheet
- Radio Equipment Directive (RED) White Paper
- What to Consider when Considering In-Vehicle Apps
- Fuel Cells vs Batteries In the Automotive Sector