Power Distribution and Transmission Solutions
Total Quality Assurance through Testing, Inspection, Certification, and Advisory services
Power Distribution and Transmission refers to the processes and systems that are used to transfer electrical energy from power plants to consumers. These processes involve the use of a complex network of power lines, transformers, substations, and other equipment to deliver electricity to homes, businesses, and other end-users.
The power generated at power plants is typically in the form of high voltage AC (alternating current) electricity. This high voltage electricity is then transmitted over long distances through high voltage transmission lines to step-down transformers, which reduce the voltage to levels that are suitable for distribution to consumers. From there, the electricity is distributed through a network of medium and low voltage distribution lines and transformers, which deliver the power to homes and businesses.
Benefits of Power Distribution and Transmission Testing
Power distribution testing is an important aspect of maintaining and ensuring the reliable and safe operation of electrical power distribution systems. Some of the benefits of power distribution testing include:
- Early detection of potential issues: Power distribution testing helps to identify potential issues in the distribution system before they become major problems. This can help prevent costly downtime, equipment damage, and other issues.
- Improved reliability: By identifying and addressing potential issues early on, power distribution testing can help improve the reliability of the distribution system. This can help prevent power outages, reduce downtime, and improve overall system performance.
- Compliance with regulations: Many regulatory agencies require regular testing and maintenance of power distribution systems to ensure that they meet safety and performance standards. Power distribution testing can help ensure compliance with these regulations.
- Improved safety: Testing can help identify potential safety hazards, such as faulty wiring or other issues, and allow for prompt repair or replacement before accidents occur.
- Cost savings: By identifying and addressing potential issues before they become major problems, power distribution testing can help reduce repair and replacement costs over the long term.
Overall, power distribution testing is an essential part of maintaining the reliability, safety, and performance of power distribution systems. It helps to identify potential issues early on, improve system performance, and ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
Intertek's Power Distribution and Transmission Solutions
As demand for energy continues to increase, end users require reliable, cost-effective electrical power. Intertek supports power utilities, manufacturers, and Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs) in delivering effective power solutions to industrial, commercial, and residential environments. With a combination of services ranging from testing, inspection, and certification all the way through engineering and environmental advisory, Intertek drives quality and efficiency throughout the entire Transmission and Distribution lifecycle.
Intertek’s global experts help our clients optimize people, processes, and environments across industries such as Power Generation, Hazardous Locations, Renewable Energy, Smart Grid Services and Power Plant Integrity Management.
Transmission and Distribution Equipment (TDE) is connected to the electrical grid and encompasses everything from Moulded Case Circuit Breakers, to LV switchgear assemblies through MV transformers, to high voltage substations and overhead lines. We provide local services to extend your global reach, and our certification marks and deliverables are accepted by major electrical utilities and authorities around the world.
ASTA Mark and ETL Listing
Increasingly, end-users require independent on-going verification and validation of the equipment supplied to their network. Intertek supports the value chain and offers ASTA Mark and ETL Listing.
Founded in 1938, our ASTA team is delivering both IEC Type Test certification and equipment approval. Each project is witnessed by ASTA Observers responsible for conducting tests in accordance with ASTA requirements, standard specifications, and for verifying the accuracy of the recorded test results. Certification of Type Test provides independent objective compliance of the equipment tested at one point in time. The ASTA Mark is accepted in more than 40 countries worldwide.
The ETL Mark is proof of equipment compliance to relevant North American safety standards, including IEEE, ANSI, and UL, and is recognized by Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs) across the US and Canada.
We deliver the services and support applicable to your equipment and support network operators' needs with precision, pace, and passion. Whether your equipment will be commissioned in a hazardous environment requiring explosion-proof protection, or within a renewable assembly requiring crucial operational support for wind turbines, Intertek’s experts are part of your team, assisting you at all stages of development.
- Arc Flash Hazard Analysis & Labeling
- Corrosion Monitoring System
- Forensic Investigation & Failure Analysis
- Field Labeling
- Global Market Access
- Hazardous Locations
- Industrial IoT (IIoT) / Industry 4.0 Services
- STL Witnessing Services
- Transformer Oil Testing
- High Power Testing
Further information on the industry and other resources for the industry can be found through the following Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs):
- Bahrain: www.mew.gov.bh
- UAE: www.adwea.com
- Kuwait: www.mew.gov.kw
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: www.sec.com.sa
- Oman: www.dcrp-oman.com
- Malaysia: www.kkr.gov.my/ms
- Thailand: www.pea.co.th / www.mea.or.th
- Vietnam: en.evn.com.vn/
- Cambodia: www.edc.com.kh
- Brunei: BPMC – Berakas Power Management Company
- Singapore: ema.gov.sg
- UAE: www.addc.ae
- Ministry of Public works in Dubai (MoPW)