Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Testing
Reliable, comprehensive, and bespoke testing solutions to get your Electric and Hybrid Vehicles to market faster
In the rapidly advancing electric vehicle (EV) and hybrid-electric vehicle (HEV) market, ensuring your automotive products stay ahead of the competition and guarantee performance, customer safety and satisfaction is vital.
These advances in electrification technologies in the automotive industry and the accelerated global adoption of EVs has led to an increase in demand within the European, North American, and global EV powertrain test market.
To support this global transition to EVs, Intertek offers a diverse portfolio of testing and consultation services for its customers, providing bespoke testing solutions for passenger car, commercial and electric motorsport (such as Formula E) manufacturers and Tier 1 and 2 suppliers. Intertek has also invested in its brand new, multi-award winning Global EV Testing Centre of Excellence designed from the ground up with manufacturers needs in mind. Combined with its other Milton Keynes facilities, its EV capabilities includes 11 dedicated powertrain test cells with the following capabilities:
- Vehicle or Powertrain in Loop testing (2WD/4WD)
- High-speed eMotor dyno testing
- EV axle module testing
- Battery simulation or real battery integration to powertrain test
- EV fluids testing
- Hybrid Transmission testing
- Hybrid powertrain testing
- EMS mapping
- Fuel, additive, and lubricant testing
- On-road vehicle testing
- And more.
Intertek’s Global Electric Vehicle Testing Centre of Excellence
As global automotive manufacturers continue to invest in and develop their electric vehicle portfolios and electrification technologies, Intertek has expanded its EV testing capabilities through the creation of its award-winning Global Electric Vehicle Testing Centre of Excellence in Milton Keynes. This new, state-of-the-art EV Centre of Excellence’s testing capabilities include motors, inverters, axle modules, all onboard vehicle electrical systems and complete Electric Vehicle testing.
The facility is equipped with 5 world-class EV powertrain test cells, including a complete four-wheel drive full vehicle climatic test chamber, electric axle module test rigs, and three state-of-the-art e-motor dyno rigs operating at speeds up to 27,000rpm. Intertek’s EV Centre of Excellence was awarded Automotive Testing Technology International’s 2021 Engine Test Facility of the Year award, as well as their Company of the Year award.
Our Automotive Battery Testing
Intertek also offers a diverse range of electric and hybrid-electric vehicle battery testing solutions; from cell, module and pack level testing, abuse testing, to fire exposure and safety certification testing, we can provide you with a one-stop-shop for your electric vehicle testing requirements. To learn more about our automotive battery testing capabilities, click here.
Our Electric Vehicle Services
• 2 x 550kW low inertia eAxle 2WD – as above
• Combined eAxle cells to create full vehicle 4WD test chamber with 1.2MW electrical power and 2MW dyno absorption power
• 290kW, 400Nm, 27,000rpm low inertia direct drive eMachine Dyno
• 500kW, 680Nm, 20,000rpm low inertia direct drive eMachine Dyno
• 500kW, 800Nm, 20,000rpm eMachine Dyno
• 300kW, 1000Nm, 18,000rpm eMachine Dyno
• 25,000rpm eMachine Back-to-Back durability rig
Intertek aims to be the partner of choice for OEM, tier 1 and tier 2 companies in the EV industry, by providing end to end innovative and expert support. Intertek has the capability to provide consultancy services in:
• Design and development of electric machines, batteries, power electronics, and vehicle systems & integration
• UK and International regulatory requirements
• Design Verification Plans (DVPs)
• Bespoke testing methodologies and test rig design & delivery
• Combining simulation and testing skills to assess multi-layered system performance
• System certification
• System homologation
• System benchmarking
• Bespoke training packages relating to EV systems
• Manufacturing set-up
Many of these capabilities are within our Milton Keynes labs, but we also have global capabilities in many related systems to bring in resource as required.
Need help or have a question?