PVoC (Pre-Shipment Verification of Conformity) for Exports to Tanzania
To assure Tanzanian consumers of the safety and quality of imported goods they buy, and to protect Tanzanian manufacturers from unfair competition, the Tanzania Bureau of Standards (TBS), a statutory organization of the government of Tanzania , implemented guidelines called the Pre-Shipment Verification of Conformity (PVoC) to Standards Programme.
Intertek Government and Trade Services are accredited by TBS to provide certification services in support of its Pre-Shipment Verification of Conformity (PVoC) programme.
TBS is responsible for the adoption and application of the standards for both imported and domestically manufactured products in the Tanzanian market. The PVoC Standards Programme is a conformity assessment and verification procedure applied to specific Goods/Products at the respective exporting countries, to ensure their compliance with the applicable Tanzanian Technical Regulations and Mandatory Standards or approved equivalents.
The primary objective of applying Pre-Shipment Verification of Conformity (PVoC) Programme is:
- Ensure quality of products, health and safety
- Protect the environment for Tanzanians
- Meet requirements of the PVoC
All consignments subject to PVoC must obtain a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) issued by an authorized PVoC Agent, such as Intertek, prior to shipment. The CoC is a mandatory document for Customs Clearance in Tanzania; consignments arriving at Tanzanian Ports without this document will be denied entry into the country.
The key elements undertaken in the PVoC are:
- Physical inspection prior to shipment
- Sampling, testing and analysis in accredited laboratories
- Quality Audit of production processes
- Documentary review of conformity with regulations
- Issuance of Certificate of Conformity (CoC) or Non Conformity Report (NCR) as appropriate.
Ensure their suppliers are conversant with import quality requirements and that their consignments are accompanied with a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) from the authorized PVoC Agent.
Ensure their products or goods meet the regulations and quality requirements of Tanzania before shipment by obtaining the necessary Certificate of Conformity (CoC) from the authorized PVoC Service Provider for all products subject to the PVoC programme. Failure to do so will result in a penalty of 15% CIF value and a destination inspection being applied. Consignments that do not meet the standards of the PVoC will either be re-exported to the country of origin or destroyed at the exporters cost.
TBS: Ensures that only quality goods gain entry into the country, thereby offering the necessary protection to Tanzania's consumers in safety, health and environmental matters.
Routes of Certification
Route A - Occasional Exports
No product registration
Product Testing and Shipment Inspection
Issuance of CoC
Route B - Frequent Exporters
Shipment Inspection and random Product testing
Issuance of CoC
Route C - Frequent Exporters and High Volume Manufacturers
Licence review and random Product testing
Issuance of CoC
Intertek can provide a tailor-made service that meets your particular needs, including:
Submission of assessment requests online
Automated e-mails for status of certificates
Flexible certificate delivery solutions for high volume users
Further details on how to obtain the mandatory Certificate of Conformity for Exports to Tanzania can be found in our exporter and importer guidelines.
International Trade Conformity Certification
Access our comprehensive guide to International Trade Conformity Certification now
Need help or have a question?
- Advice on Trading with Tanzania
- Tanzania Exporter Guidelines
- Tanzania Regulated Products List
- Tanzania FAQ's
- Tanzania Intertek Office Contact Details
- Tanzania Request for Certification - English
- Tanzania Request for Certification - French
- Tanzania Request for Certification - Portuguese
- Tanzania Request for Certification - Turkish
- Tanzania Request for Certification - Simplified Chinese
- Tanzania Request for Certification - Traditional Chinese
- Tanzania Request for Product Certificate, Registration and Licence - English
- Tanzania Request for Product Certificate, Registration and Licence - French
- Tanzania Request for Product Certificate, Registration and Licence - Turkish
- Tanzania Request for Product Certificate, Registration and License - Simplified Chinese
- Tanzania Request for Product Certificate, Registration and License - Traditional Chinese
Latest News: Intertek renews contract with TBS for PVoC Certification