UAE Market Access for Cosmetics and Perfumes through Emirates Conformity Assessment Scheme (ECAS) and Emirates Quality Mark (EQM)
Emirates Conformity Assessment Scheme (ECAS)
Exporters/Importers trading in Cosmetics, Perfumery and Personal Care products with the United Arab Emirates need to comply with the requirements of the UAE Emirates Conformity Assessment Scheme (ECAS) in order for their goods to clear UAE Customs and place the products in the UAE Marketplace.
The ECAS prescribes requirements for quality and safety for regulated products including Cosmetics, Perfumery and Personal Care Products designated for consumer use. The ECAS certificate is proof that the product has been approved by the UAE Federal Government through MoIAT (Formerly ESMA).
All Cosmetics, Perfumery and Personal Care Products placed in the UAE market should be in conformity with the ECAS requirements.
- ECAS Certificates of Conformity (CoC) issued by approved Notified Bodies such as Intertek are mandatory for Customs clearance and for placing the products in the UAE marketplace.
- The Certificate confirms that the products comply with the relevant UAE technical regulations.
- The Certificate is valid for one year and needs to be renewed on an annual basis.
- For importers, any shipments of regulated products arriving without the Certificate of Conformity will be rejected causing severe delays in goods clearance, penalties or even shipments being returned to their origin and products withdrawn from market.
Emirates Quality Mark (EQM)
To increase UAE consumer confidence in their products which are placed in the UAE market, exporters/importers trading Cosmetics, Perfumery and Personal Care products with the UAE can apply for an EQM Licence. This involves a comprehensive MoIAT evaluation of the product and the quality system used by the manufacturer in production through auditing, testing and inspection.
The EQM is a mark of conformity which demonstrates the product’s compliance with the relevant UAE technical regulations and standards, regional and/or international standards and is manufactured by an organisation which has demonstrated the implementation of an effective Quality Management System to ensure continuous compliance.
- For products approved through the EQM scheme, the EQM mark must be printed on the certified products to indicate that the products are compliant and approved by MoIAT.
- The EQM Licence can be used to clear shipments with UAE Customs instead of the ECAS CoC
The Intertek Solution: helping you meet the requirements of ECAS and EQM:
- Intertek is a global leader in the Total Quality Assurance of Cosmetics, Perfumery and Personal Care Products.
- Intertek is authorised by the MoIAT to issue the mandatory Certificate of Conformity for ECAS and EQM Licence.
- Intertek has one of the world’s largest networks of laboratories, authorised to test to UAE requirements for Cosmetics, Perfumery and Personal Care Products.
Our staff are experts on global Cosmetics and Perfumery regulations and standards.