SASO to implement the Saudi Product Safety Programme (SALEEM)
Implementation the Saudi Product Safety Programme (SALEEM)
Further to our previous announcements regarding the SALEEM programme for Saudi Arabia, the Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) has made the decision to implement the Saudi Product Safety Programme (SALEEM) by launching the SABER platform for online Certification as of 1st January 2019.
The SALEEM programme takes into consideration specific product technical regulations which are in place to ensure the quality and safety of products in the KSA market. A list of technical regulations for various products covering Lube Oils, Detergents, Building Materials and Construction Products, Paints, Lifts, Vehicle Spare Parts, Textiles etc., has been released by SASO. The Products covered by the technical regulations are referred to as Regulated Products.
SASO have developed their own electronic certification system called SABER. Importers must now initiate the certification request online, for the Regulated Products they intend to import by accessing SABER, and registering the Regulated Products and choosing one of the SASO Approved Certification Bodies (CB) such as Intertek to process their request.
The conformity assessment process for the regulated products is a two stage process
Stage 1: Issuance of Product Certification of Conformity (PCoC).
The PCoC is issued online in SABER platform for every regulated product as per the applicable product standards defined in the relevant Technical Regulation.
- Importer adds Product information on the SABER Platform for obtaining PCoC.
- Importer selects Certification Body (CB) such as Intertek for issuance of PCoC.
- Payment of PCoC Fees.
- Intertek accesses the SABER Platform to check online the request from Importers.
- Intertek facilitates the Conformity Assessment Process and liaises with the exporter for submission of all substantiating documents.
- Intertek verifies the Results and uploads qualifying valid documents in the system.
- PCoC is issued online in SABER. The PCoC is valid for a period of one(1) year.
In order to facilitate the products registration on SABER, our office in KSA is ready to assist the Importers to register the products. Our expert team has the required technical competencies to provide full support in this regard.
Intertek KSA Address:
Intertek International Ltd.
King Fahed Street,
North Tower. 3rd floor
PO Box 250878
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Tel: ++966 11 4657298
Stage 2: Issuance of Shipment Certificate of Conformity (SCoC).
Every regulated products included in the shipment will be verified by Intertek to ensure there is an existing valid PCoC for that product and if found to be true then a SCoC is issued.
- Importer to send online request on SABER for obtaining SCoC for importing products into KSA
- Intertek verifies if there is valid PCoC for every regulated products.
- Intertek confirms online, If verified and found to be true.
- Payment of SCoC fees.
- SCoC is issued online in SABER. The SCoC is valid for that specific shipment only.
1st Jan 2019
All Regulated Products must be registered through SABER
Intertek is accredited for most of the Technical Regulations in all the five regions and Importers can select one of Intertek’s five (5) Accreditation Offices to facilitate Conformity Assessment and Certificate issuance.
Intertek Government and Trade Services (GTS) is facilitating the process for the Product CoC PCoC and SCoC in accordance with the SASO SALEEM programme. This unique benefit from Intertek GTS will expedite the application and registration process once the SABER system is fully deployed.
Our Intertek team is here to help you and your organisation to understand and apply this important latest market access regulation in Saudi Arabia.