Fuel Stability Testing
Will your fuels be ready when needed? Intertek offers integral Fuel stability testing services of long-term bulk-storage fuels.
Bulk fuels stored for long periods of time can suffer from fuel storage degradation and contamination, resulting in serious fuel instability problems when eventually used in large back-up generators, jets, helicopters, propeller aircraft, ships, trains, and trucks.
Fuels stored for extended periods of time can suffer from polymerization, oxidation, emulsions, and bacterial and fungus infestations. These problems can form residues and gums. Ageing fuel residues and gums can cause serious problems with engines and fuel systems.
Intertek fuel laboratories provide fuel quality monitoring programs, which identify ageing fuel degradation issues before those fuels are used. Fuel analysis helps clients identify potential problems and treat problematic fuels with additives to prevent or reduce further fuel deterioration.
Suggestions and Guidance
- Keep product dry. Frequently monitor and drain free water as required.
- Minimize tank headspace to reduce condensation water.
- Avoid fuel contact with catalytic metals such as Zinc and Copper (brass).
- Microbial activity often occurs at the fuel - water interface layer. This can lead to fungal mats and corrosive by -products. Water cuts and bottom samples can be utilized to check activity levels with portable test kits.
- Visualization of samples in the field may identify potential issues. Evidence of haze, darkening and / or particulates may warrant further laboratory studies. ASTM D 4176 Standard Test Method for Free Water and Particulate Contamination in Distillate Fuels (Visual Inspection Procedures).
- Zone samples to monitor vertical stratification (Density, Sulfur, Viscosity, etc.).
- Additive considerations include Metal deactivators, Electrical conductivity, Anti-oxidants, and biocides.
Intertek is ready to assist with your inventory monitoring program. Our global teams are strategically located and ready to provide on-site sampling, evaluations and remediation.
Fuel storage stability tests:
- Diesel fuel testing (Middle distillates)
- ASTM D6468, high temperature stability of middle distillate fuels (F-21 Pad test)
- ASTM D2274, IP 388, EN ISO 12205, oxidation stability
- ASTM D4625, IP 378, extended storage stability
- ASTM D7545, EN 16091, rapid oxidation stability (RSSOT)
- ASTM D5304, Oxygen overpressure stability
- Biodiesel testing (FAME, biodiesel, and blends)
- ASTM D7462, oxidation stability of biodiesel and blends
- EN 15751, IP 574, oxidation stability, (rancimat)
- EN 14112, accelerated stability
- ASTM D7501, cold soak filterability
- Fuel oil (heavy fuel oils)
- ASTM D7060, ASTM D7061, stability, compatibility, heavy fuel oil phase separation
- ASTM D4740, compatibility and cleanliness (spot test)
- ASTM D4870, IP 375, ISO 10478, IP 390, ISO 10370, sediment and aging
- Gasoline testing (and gasoline blending components)
- ASTM D525, IP 40, EN ISO 7536, induction period gasoline stability test
- ASTM D381, gum test for gasoline
- Jet fuel testing
- ASTM D1655, jet fuel analysis, jet fuel degradation storage problems
- ASTM D381, IP 131, EN ISO 6246, gum content (steam and air jet)
- IP 540, gum content (air jet)
- ASTM D3241, IP 323, oxidation stability (JFTOT)
- ASTM D873, IP 138, oxidation stability (potential residue)
- Related fuel storage stability expertise:
Need help or have a question?
- +65 6805 4800
- +61 1300 046 837
- +31 88 126 8702
- +32 3 543 9089
- +55 11 2322 8033
- 400 820 5033
- +86 21 6485 5558
- EMEA - UK:
- +44 1708 680 200
- +33 2 35 13 41 00
- 0800 5855888
- +49 711 27311 152
- + 91 22 4245 0100
- +39 02 95383833
- 01 800 5468 3783
- +52 55 5091 2150
- +34 902 377 388
- +41 43 4337810
- +971 4 317 8777
- New Zealand:
- +64 9 432 7521