Lighting Certification for Products
Lighting Certification and Compliance to Worldwide Safety Standards and Market Requirements
Lighting certification refers to a process by which lighting products and systems are tested and certified to ensure their compliance with industry standards and regulations. It is a means of evaluating the performance, quality, and safety of lighting products and ensuring that they meet specific criteria.
The certification process involves rigorous testing and assessment procedures, which may include laboratory testing, product inspections, and documentation review. Testing may encompass measurements of luminous output, color rendering, energy consumption, electrical safety, electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), and other relevant parameters. The specific requirements for certification can vary depending on the type of lighting product or system, such as LEDs, lamps, luminaires, lighting controls, or daylighting systems.
Certification provides several benefits to manufacturers, consumers, and regulatory authorities. For manufacturers, it establishes credibility and demonstrates that their products meet recognized standards. It can also help in gaining global market access and complying with regulatory requirements. Consumers benefit from certified lighting products by having assurance of their quality, performance, and safety. Regulatory authorities rely on certification programs to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and to promote energy efficiency and environmental sustainability.
Intertek's Lighting Certification Solutions
Serving the lighting industry for more than 115 years, we make it possible for you to take your lighting product into virtually any market around the world, including hazardous locations. With lighting testing and certification capabilities to the widest range of global requirements, we offer the most comprehensive capabilities and expertise in the market.
- Performance Testing: Intertek offers the most comprehensive lighting performance testing suite in the market today, from energy efficiency and environmental/durability testing, to germicidal and cybersecurity testing.
- Electrical Safety Testing: This testing helps verify that lighting products meet the required electrical safety criteria, reducing the risk of accidents and ensuring consumer protection.
- Zhaga Consortium Compliance: By complying with Zhaga standards, manufacturers can ensure that their products can be easily integrated with other compatible products from different manufacturers, providing greater flexibility, compatibility, and ease of installation.
- ANSI/UL 1598 Testing: North American safety standard that includes safety testing for temperature, shock, and reliable mounting methods, among other criteria.
- ANSI/UL 8750 Testing: Download our Fact Sheet for a standard overview and tips for manufacturers, or listen to the Webinar and learn how to apply ANSI/UL 8750 to your LED luminaires
- IECEE CB Scheme: Let Intertek manage your entire lighting certification process from start to finish with our full suite of national certifications and international approvals.
- Lighting General Coverage Program: Intertek trains qualified representatives at the lighting manufacturer on how to comply with the construction requirements of the applicable standard, now includes more categories.
- California Lighting Efficiency and Toxics Reductions Act: Intertek provides legal, regulatory and strategic consulting, testing, and full implementation programs for compliance.
- FAA Engineering Brief 67D Compliance: Intertek has exclusive approval from the FAA to verify your airfield lighting equipment’s compliance to performance standards.
- RoHS 2 Directive Compliance: RoHS 2 compliance is mandatory for lighting products placed on the European Union market. Manufacturers or importers of lighting products are responsible for ensuring their products meet the RoHS 2 requirements.
ANSI/UL 1598 4th Edition White Paper: What You Need to Know
Intertek's Global Lighting Certification Marks
Enter some of the fastest growing markets in the world with certification to all required electrical safety testing standards.
- ETL Safety Certification (North America)
- NOM Mark (Mexico)
Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Russia
As a London-based company with local accreditations and certification marks, Intertek is a leader in the European lighting market. Let us help get your product where it needs to be.
- CE Marking (Europe)
- ENEC Marking (Europe)
- S Mark (Europe)
- GS Mark (Germany)
- GOST Certification (Russia)
- Saudi Arabian Certificate of Conformity
Whether you prefer to work with our lighting testing laboratories located throughout Asia, or choose to obtain certification locally, we can help you build a certification plan that works for you.
- CCC Certification (China)
- PSE Certification (Japan)
- C-TICK Certification (Australia)
- Considerations in Bringing a Germicidal Product to Market Webinar
- Commercial Displays: Compliance to ANSI/UL 970 Fact Sheet
- Lighting for Hazardous Locations Fact Sheet
- Germicidal Lighting Fact Sheet
- Horticultural Lighting Safety & Performance Criteria Fact Sheet
- Product Listing & Marking Strategies White Paper
- Mitigating Cyber Threats to Connected Lighting Products Webinar
- Automotive Lighting: Photometric Concepts, Calibration, and Measurement White Paper
- Class P Program for LED Light Engines Fact Sheet
- ANSI/UL 8750: Overview and Tips for Manufacturers
- LED Lamps: LM-84 & DOE Rules Tip Sheet
- Ingress Protection for Lighting Products IP vs. NEMA Ratings White Paper
- California Energy Commission (CEC) Title 20 and Title 24 White Paper
- Lighting General Coverage Program Fact Sheet
- Global Lighting Standards
- My Test Central
- Product Directories
- Certification Marks
- Global Market Access
- SatelliteTM Data Acceptance Program
- Intertek Protek - The world’s first industry-agnostic, end-to-end health, safety and wellbeing assurance program