Commercial Refrigeration & Freezer Testing
Access expertise for product development, testing, and understanding changing regulations for commercial refrigerators and freezers
With the broadest range of quality assurance, testing, and certification services, Intertek provides a single global partner for manufacturers bringing products to market.
Commercial refrigeration, commercial freezers, residential refrigeration, walk-in, display case, vending, and ice machine products face a changing landscape with increased demands for energy efficiency and transition to low global warming potential (GWP) refrigerants.
Intertek offers testing to safety, energy efficiency, sanitation, chemical, and refrigerant requirements, as well as consulting, product design support, training, supply chain assessment, competitive benchmarking, and more. Products can earn ETL certification, ETL sanitation certification, and the CE Mark or equivalent marks for global markets.
UL 60335-2-89 for Commercial Refrigeration
To harmonize with IEC 60335-2-89, UL and CSA are retiring previously used standards for commercial refrigeration appliances and icemakers, to replace them with North America specific 60335-2-89 standards of their own. This transition goes into effect on September 29 2024.
Intertek’s facilities maintain Accredited Test Lab status for: Department of Energy (DOE); ENERGY STAR®; Natural Resources Canada (NRCan); California Energy Commission (CEC); American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE); Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI); Association of Home Appliances Manufacturers (AHAM); Saudi Standards, Quality, and Metrology Organization (SASO); CB Scheme; ASTM; and NSF requirements for refrigeration products. Highlighted accreditations by product category:
Commercial Refrigerators & Freezers
- AHRI 1200, ASHRAE 72, CEC Title 20, DOE 10 CFR 431.64, ENERGY STAR Program Requirements Product Specifications, NRCan
Walk-In Coolers & Freezers
- AHRI 420, AHRI 1250, ASTM C518 (Canada), DOE 10 CFR 431 Subpart R
Residential Refrigerators & Freezers
- AHAM HRF-1, CEC Title 20, DOE 10 CFR Subpart B, App A and B, ENERGY STAR Program Requirements Product Specifications, SASO 2664
Refrigerated Beverage Vending Machines
- ASHRAE 32, CEC Title 20, DOE 10 CFR 431.294, ENERGY STAR Program Requirements Product Specifications
Commercial Ice Machines
- AHRI 810, ASHRAE 29, CEC Title 20, DOE 10 CFR 431 Subpart H, ENERGY STAR Program Requirements Product Specifications
- 60335-2-89 Fact Sheet
- Commercial Refrigeration Webinar
- Commercial Appliances
- Foodservice Equipment
- Consulting & Design Services for Appliances
- Refrigerants, Lubricants & Materials Compatibility Testing
- Evolving Regulations for Commercial Refrigeration Energy Efficiency
Intertek does not provide consulting services for management systems certification. Any consulting activities provided by Intertek are separated and independent from testing and certification activities.