Testing to AHAM Standards
What is Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM)?
The Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) is a North American trade association representing manufacturers of major and portable home appliances, floor care equipment, and suppliers to these industries. AHAM provides industry standards for performance, safety, and environmental sustainability. These standards are developed through a consensus-based process that involves stakeholders from industry, government, and consumer groups. AHAM plays a significant role in the home appliance industry, promoting innovation, safety, and sustainability while advocating for the interests of its member companies.
The Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) utilizes independent labs to test and verify home appliances such as room air cleaners/purifiers, room air conditioners, and dehumidifiers. Models certified through AHAM's performance verification programs carry the AHAM seal, assuring consumers that the product will perform according to the manufacturer's product claims. Room Air Cleaners/Purifiers use a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) rating system to determine how well an air cleaner reduces pollutants in a room. The Room Air Conditioner Program verifies for BTU's per hour, amps and energy efficiency. Water removal capacity and energy factor are verified in the Dehumidifier Program. AHAM certification is voluntary.
Benefits of AHAM Testing
AHAM Testing provides several benefits to both manufacturers and consumers. Some of these benefits include:
- Reliable and objective performance testing: AHAM Testing is conducted according to strict standards that are developed through a consensus-based process involving stakeholders from industry, government, and consumer groups. This ensures that the testing is reliable, accurate, and objective.
- Consistent performance comparisons: AHAM Testing provides a standardized method for comparing the performance of different home appliances. This allows consumers to make informed decisions when selecting appliances and ensures that manufacturers can compete on a level playing field.
- Verification of claims: AHAM Testing verifies the claims made by manufacturers regarding the performance of their appliances. This helps to build consumer trust in the industry and ensures that manufacturers are held accountable for their claims.
- Safety and environmental standards: AHAM Testing includes safety and environmental standards that help to ensure that home appliances are safe to use and have a minimal impact on the environment.
Overall, AHAM Testing provides several benefits to both manufacturers and consumers. This helps to promote innovation, safety, and sustainability in the home appliance industry while also providing consumers with the information they need to make informed purchasing decisions.
Intertek's AHAM Testing Solutions
Intertek has been selected by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) to conduct product verification testing, and directory data management for the following products.
- Room Air Cleaners/Purifiers
- Room Air Conditioners
Request more information to see how Intertek can help your organization with Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) Testing.
- ETSI EN 300 328 V2.2.2 Overview
- Transitioning to UL/CSA 60335-2-40 Webinar
- Transitioning to UL/CSA 60335-2-40 White Paper
- Zero Ozone Verification Program
- Department of Energy Regulations
- AHRI Standards
- AHAM Program Directory
- HVACR Blog
- GSA Schedule Services
- LEED Green Building Rating System
- Intertek Protek - The world’s first industry-agnostic, end-to-end health, safety and wellbeing assurance program