IEC 60335-1: The Safety of Household and Similar Electrical Appliances
General testing and certification requirements for household and similar electrical appliances
What is IEC 60335-1?
IEC 60335-1 is the safety standard of electrical appliances for household and similar purposes, which provides general testing requirements, markings, classifications, and instructions for household appliances and similar devices. IEC 60335-1 applies to appliances with voltage ratings not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances, and 480 V for other appliances.
IEC 60335-2 details requirements for specific types of appliances, including but not limited to:
- IEC 60335-2-2: Vacuum cleaners and water-suction cleaning appliances
- IEC 60335-2-5: Dishwashers
- IEC 60335-2-6: Stationary cooking ranges, hobs, ovens, and similar appliances
- IEC 60335-2-7: Washing machines
- IEC 60335-2-11: Tumble dryers
- IEC 60335-2-14: Kitchen machines
- IEC 60335-2-21: Storage water heaters
- IEC 60335-2-24: Refrigerating appliances, ice-cream appliances, and ice-makers
- IEC 60335-2-25: Microwave ovens including combination micro wave ovens
- IEC 60335-2-29: Battery chargers
- IEC 60335-2-31: Range hoods
- view complete list
IEC 60335-1:2020 Edition 6: An Overview on the Changes
View our Webinar
Benefits of IEC 60335-1
With significant changes to appliances, IoT (Internet of Things), and the development of smart home systems which can be programmed or remotely controlled, safety requirements have been reassessed to ensure these products can be safely used as the technologies evolve and the applications become more complex.
The latest requirements from IEC 60335-1 Edition 6 include several updates, although most changes in the text of the standard relate to battery operated appliances and cybersecurity, some more minor text revisions which do not seem of significance at first glance could still have an impact on current or future product designs.
To learn more, review our IEC 60335-1 digital resources that highlight key updates and new requirements.
Intertek's IEC 60335-1 Solutions:
- IEC 60335-1 Annex U: Safety of Connected Appliances - on-demand webinar
- IEC 60335-1 Ed. 6 Annex B: Battery Operated Household Appliances - on-demand webinar
- IEC 60335-1:2020 Edition 6: An Overview on the Changes - on-demand webinar
- IEC 60335-1 Ed. 6 Overview - fact sheet
- IEC 60335-1 Ed. 6: Battery-Operated Household Appliances - fact sheet
- Optical Radiation Requirements for Appliances with Germicidal Functionality - fact sheet
- Annex U: Safety of Connected Household Appliances - fact sheet