Intertek offers manufacturers a single-source solution for Recast Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive 2012/19/EU compliance.
The recast WEEE Directive (2012/19/EU) was published in the Official Journal of the European Union on 24 July 2012, and has already entered into force. Producers of electronic and electrical products must transition to an open scope, process for harmonized registration, reporting, and producer definition, meet the requirements for Authorised Representative for offshore manufacturers with no importer, and meet increased recovery targets.
The European Union’s Waste Electronics and Electrical Equipment (WEEE) Directive places the obligation of recycling (including collection, treatment, and environmentally friendly disposal) of electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) products upon manufacturers. The goal is to reduce electronic waste, protecting human health and the environment from hazardous substances. Failure to comply with the WEEE Directive places these manufacturers at risk for prosecution and inability to place their products in the EU market.
EU Waste Electronics and Electrical Equipment (WEEE) Directive Services
Intertek provides logistical, operational, financial, and technical consulting solutions for WEEE recycling compliance. As WEEE requirements are country specific, Intertek’s services are designed to adapt and conform to each country's rules and regulations, in all ten EU WEEE Directive categories. Intertek works directly with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and their contract equipment manufacturers (CEMs) to rapidly and cost-effectively fulfill the European Union's WEEE requirements.
- Development of a strategic WEEE fulfillment plan
- WEEE Product Registration
- WEEE Treatment Instructions
- Determine product requirements for WEEE compliance and recyclers
- Calculation of re-use, recycling, and recovery rates
- Determining and maximizing the value of returned or recycled components
- Database structure for interaction with recyclers and compliance schemes
- Bill of Material data gathering and assessment
- Parallel review of RoHS compliance
- WEEE Regulatory Consulting
- Corporate WEEE training