UL 60335-2-40 Testing and Certification
UL 60335-2-40 is the Future of HVACR Electrical Safety Compliance. Intertek can guide you through everything you need to know
What is UL 60335-2-40?
UL 60335-2-40 is a safety standard for household and similar electrical appliances. UL 60335-2-40 outlines various safety requirements, including protections against electric shock, fire hazards, and mechanical hazards. It also covers requirements for marking and instructions for use, and testing procedures to ensure compliance with the safety requirements.
UL 60335-2-40 is one of several safety standards that manufacturers of electrical appliances must comply with in order to ensure the safety of their products for consumers. Compliance with these standards is typically indicated by a certification mark on the product, such as the ETL mark.
Benefits of UL 60335-2-40 Testing
The benefits of UL 60335-2-40 testing are numerous and include the following:
- Safety: The primary benefit of UL 60335-2-40 testing is to ensure that HVACR equipment meet minimum safety standards. This helps prevent potential hazards such as electric shock, fire, and mechanical injuries to users and anyone in the vicinity of the appliance.
- Compliance: Testing your products to UL 60335-2-40 standards ensures compliance with safety regulations and standards. This helps to avoid legal problems and penalties, and helps protect your brand's reputation.
- Quality Assurance: UL 60335-2-40 testing is also an effective way to ensure that your products meet quality standards. Meeting these standards can help improve your product's reliability, reduce returns, and improve customer satisfaction.
- Global Access: UL is a globally recognized mark, and UL 60335-2-40 testing can help you gain access to international markets. Many countries require that products meet recognized standards before they can be sold in their markets.
- Competitive Advantage: Meeting UL 60335-2-40 standards can also give you a competitive advantage. Consumers are increasingly concerned about the safety of the products they use, and having a safety mark on your products can help build trust and confidence in your brand.
Overall, UL 60335-2-40 testing is an important step in ensuring the safety and quality of your HVACR equipment, and can provide a range of benefits for your business.
Intertek's UL 60335-2-40 Testing and Certification Solutions
Though not required until January 1, 2024, UL 60335-2-40 has been deemed “the future of HVACR electrical safety compliance” and is currently active for products to be tested against and certified. If your product is ready to meet the new criteria and more rigorous requirements of IEC 60335-2-40 (compared to UL 1995), Intertek is your Total Quality Assurance provider to help you get to market quickly. The standard includes in its scope matched and packaged air conditioners/heat pumps (no standalone systems), liquid chillers and hydronic fan coil units, hot water heat pumps, dehumidifiers, and supplemental heaters (designed as part of an appliance package).
Preparing for a change to the 60335-2-40 Safety Standard
If you’re interested in a gap analysis to determine what is still needed to meet the new requirements, we can provide that service, along with any potential compliance training and R&D testing your team may need. The standard is harmonized across global markets with UL 60335-2-40, CSA 60335-2-40, and IEC 60335-2-40 available, so gaining an understanding of global requirements will help you save time and costs in your compliance program overall.
To learn more, download our white paper or watch our on-demand webinar that walks through the requirements of transitioning from UL 1995 to the new UL 60335-2-40.
UL 60335-2-40 Resources
Refrigerant Detection Sensor Requirements for HVACR Equipment
Path to HVAC Certification Through January 2024
Training: Transitioning to 60335-2-40
Frequently Asked Questions: UL 60335-2-40
White Paper: Transitioning from UL 1995 to UL 60335-2-40
Webinar: Ensuring Compliance With UL 60335-2-40
Access the UL 60335-2-40 Standard through SAI Global
- HVAC Certification Requirements for Polymerics and Non-Metallic Materials Fact Sheet
- HVAC Path to Certification Through January 2024 Fact Sheet
- Zero Ozone Verification Program Fact Sheet
- UL 60335-2-40: Frequently Asked Questions
- Product Listing & Marking Strategies White Paper
- Ensuring Compliance With UL 60335-2-40 Webinar
- Transitioning from UL 1995 to UL 60335-2-40 White Paper
- HVACR Testing Chamber Design Services
- Gas Appliance Regulations Webinar: GAR vs. GAD
- Flammable Refrigerants: Comprehensive Assurance Fact Sheet
- Accelerated Stress Testing to Manage Disruptive Market Changes Webinar
- Intertek’s 65-Ton Psychrometric Test Facility
- Internet of Things (IoT) Capabilities and the Safeguarding of Smart HVACR Systems White Paper
- Functional Safety for Products White Paper
- UN 38.3 and the Requirements for the Transportation of Lithium Batteries
- Radio Equipment Directive (RED) white paper
- Department of Energy Direct Final Rules Webinar Recording
- Department of Energy Regulations
- AHRI Standards
- AHAM Program Directory
- HVACR Blog
- GSA Schedule Services
- LEED Green Building Rating System
- Intertek Protek - The world’s first industry-agnostic, end-to-end health, safety and wellbeing assurance program