Resistance to abrasion and wear of modern materials such as paints and coatings is tested by specific scratch testing techniques
Scratch testing carried out by our experts is invaluable to gain insight into materials such automotive paints, varnishes, as well as coatings. Single asperity scratching allows the mechanisms behind abrasive or ductile damage to be understood without the complexity of multiple asperity contacts.
A range of conical diamond tips (apical angle from 35° to 150°) are drawn across the surface under constant, stepwise or progressively increasing load.
The morphology of the scratches is examined with a combination of microscopy and profilometry techniques. Scratch hardness values are calculated to generate a scratch map that depicts the behaviour of the surface under a complete range of working conditions.
Scratch testing can be automated to achieve Medium Throughput data generation.
Applications of Scratch Testing:
- Commercial polymers
- Paint and varnishes for the automotive industry
- Multilayered systems
- Application related performance
Regulatory Chemical & Materials Analysis Expertise
- PFAS Monitoring in Environmental and Polymer Samples
- Microplastics and Nanoparticles - Definitions And Regulatory Considerations
- Dissolution of Hydroxyapatite Coatings for Medical Devices
- Particulate Contamination control and analysis
Polymers News and Events
NEW SERVICE: CircularAssure - Services to help you close the loop in the circular economy for plastics
CASE STUDY: Polymer Surface Contamination Resolution