Environmental exposure, including weathering, accelerated ageing testing for plastics, polymers and composites
Accelerated Weathering Testing for Plastics and Polymers is necessary to ensure that materials and products meet their expected functionality and lifetime.
An array of variables exist that ensure that the effects of ageing and weathering are hard to predict and as such can cause problems in the future which may reflect back upon the product and your business in a negative way.
Intertek provides accelerated weathering testing of polymer and plastic materials and products through a plethora of different tests. Our experts test the resistance of polymeric products against environmental impact, weathering, temperature, humidity and repeated sterilization or UV/ Xenon exposure. The polymer and plastic materials or products will be exposed under defined conditions such as heat, UV, and other stress to determine its critical properties before and after exposure.
Materials typically tested include inks and dyes (for example in fascia boards), pipelines destined for hot environments; medical devices, such as blood bags. We also have capabilities to offer Automotive Materials Weathering Testing.
Weathering standards for plastic and polymer ageing testing:
- Accelerated weathering by QUV - ASTM D4329, ASTM D 4587, ISO 4892
- Materials weathering tests by Xenon Arc - ASTM G155, ISO 4892, ASTM D2565, ASTM D4459
- Elevated temperature testing on properties of plastics by deterioration
- Accelerated ageing of automotive materials by Xenon Arc - SAE J2020, SAE J1885, SAE J1960, VDA 75202, PV3929, PV3930 as well as stipulations from other major OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) such as BMW, Daimler and Nissan.
Chemical exposure services:
- Chemical resistance testing for polymers and plastics - ASTM D543
- Effects of liquids on elastomers - ASTM D471
- Environmental Stress Cracking Resistance ESCR test - ASTM D1693
Environmental simulation / conditioning:
- Moisture absorption of composites - ASTM D5229
Different accelerated exposure tests may be used depending on product type and application. Intertek is able to tailor ageing tests to follow customized procedures where suggested. For more information or to discuss your needs with one of our polymer experts please contact us via the details on this page.
Regulatory Chemical & Materials Analysis Expertise
- PFAS Monitoring in Environmental and Polymer Samples
- Microplastics and Nanoparticles - Definitions And Regulatory Considerations
- Dissolution of Hydroxyapatite Coatings for Medical Devices
- Particulate Contamination control and analysis
Polymers News and Events
NEW SERVICE: CircularAssure - Services to help you close the loop in the circular economy for plastics
CASE STUDY: Polymer Surface Contamination Resolution