Grease testing and analysis for machinery, aviation, land, marine and industrial applications.
Grease tests are performed by Intertek to IP, ASTM, Defence Standard and other regulatory test methods and protocols. A wide suite of test rigs and test methods are available to assess grease performance. Grease sample testing is supported by an experienced team of consultants, who are members of the SAE, AMS-M, ELGI, NLGI and EI grease committees and can advise on test method selection and interpretation of results.
The Intertek grease testing laboratories are independent of lubricant and equipment manufacturers, and are ideally placed to conduct testing. Grease analysis of a sensitive nature, such as generating data for qualification approval, defect investigations, comparisons of different brands of grease and compatibility between different brands or grades of grease, is available at the Farnborough UK laboratory.
Condition based grease testing laboratories are located across the world, providing local support when you need it.
Grease laboratory tests
• Drop Point (Dropping Point), ASTM D566, IP 396
• Cone Penetration, IP 50
• Oxidation Stability, IP 142, ASTM D942
• Copper Corrosion, IP 112
• Corrosion Preventative Properties, IP 220, ASTM D1743
• Oil Separation IP 121/Def Stan, 05-50 part 9
• Working Stability Def Stan, 05-50 part 63
• Low Temperature Torque, IP 186
• Fretting Wear Protection, ASTM D4170
• Evaporation Loss, IP 183
• Anti-Wear Properties by Four-Ball, IP 239
• Wheel Bearing Leakage, ASTM D1263
• Water Washout Test IP, 215
Grease and lubrication engineering tests
• Grease Rolling Bearing Performance, IP 168
• Pope test (Life of Lubricating Greases in Ball Bearings at Elevated temperatures), ASTM D3336
• Grease Churning test, IP 266
Grease condition monitoring:
• Intertek offers condition monitoring services which include elemental analysis, PQ (particle quantifier) and debris analysis for grease applications.
Grease Compatibility Testing
• Clients may choose to switch to another grease product for a number of reasons including cost-saving, performance improvement and discontinuation of the in-service product. When switching grease product, it is vital to ensure compatibility of the new product to prevent any reduction in performance which could lead to equipment damage and operational downtime.
• Intertek can offer grease compatibility testing to ASTM D6185, Standard Practice for Evaluating Compatibility of Binary Mixtures of Lubricating Greases.
Lubricant and oil condition monitoring services:
Need help or have a question?
- +65 6805 4800
- +61 1300 046 837
- +31 88 126 8702
- +32 3 543 9089
- +55 11 2322 8033
- 400 820 5033
- +86 21 6485 5558
- EMEA - UK:
- +44 1708 680 200
- +33 2 35 13 41 00
- 0800 5855888
- +49 711 27311 152
- + 91 22 4245 0100
- +39 02 95383833
- 01 800 5468 3783
- +52 55 5091 2150
- +34 902 377 388
- +971 4 317 8777
- S Africa:
- +27 010 900 4411
Caleb Brett News and Events
Case Study: Wear Debris analysis on Marine Cargo Ships Download now
Whitepaper - Tank Calibration using Laser Scanning Technology Download Now
Case study - Wear Debris Analysis Using Scanning Electron Microscopy: Download now
Webinar - Wear Debris Analysis as a Condition Monitoring Tool: Download our On Demand Webinar
Webinar - REACH Testing: Petroleum UVCBs – analysis for dossiers: View the Webinar
Caleb Brett Brochure - Cargo Inspection & Analytical Assessment Services
Download our Brochure