Intertek is certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) to conduct packaging testing to many requirements for its “Transit Tested” certification program, allowing member organizations to label their packaging and allowing non-members to obtain test reports verifying compliance.
The only thing protecting your product from structural or environmental damage is the packaging in which it ships. Whether it ships in a cardboard box, a crate or a custom-designed case – either domestically or internationally -- you need to ensure the packaging meets requirements to avoid damage during transit. Our experts know the requirements and steps you need to take to ensure product integrity during shipment.
We test to a number of requirements, procedures and standards including:
- ISTA 1 Series - Non-Simulation Integrity Performance Tests
- ISTA 2 Series - Partial Simulation Performance Tests
- ISTA 3 Series - General Simulation Performance Tests
- ISTA 4 Series - Enhanced Simulation Performance Tests
- ISTA 6 Series – Custom ISTA Member Performance Tests
- ASTM D999: Standard Test Methods for Vibration Testing of Shipping Containers
- ASTM D4169: Standard Practice for Performance Testing of Shipping Containers
- MIL-STD-810: Transportation Profiles
- Client Specifications
Advantages of Packaging Testing
- Protect the Product
- Save Money. Each Time Your Product is Damaged During Shipping, You Lose Money
- Increase Brand Loyalty
- Reduce the Need for Trial Shipments
- Reduce Product Claim Headaches
Packaging testing can be done at many stages of the product cycle: prior to new product launch, with new packaging redesigns, when product damage is an issue in your company, or when your clients require testing. The best way to prepare is to include testing as early in the packaging design as possible.
Intertek’s packaging testing equipment includes rotary vibration, random vibration, incline impact ramp, mechanical shock, and free fall drop tester. Plus, our environmental chambers allow us to conduct a number of tests such as:
- Compression testing to assess warehousing stacking and load;
- Shock testing to assess handling, drop and impact;
- Vibration testing to assess transportation vibration;
- Atmosphere testing to assess environmental effects (temperature, humidity, and pressure).