Intertek offers expert testing services for respirators and face masks, ensuring performance and safety compliance with global regulatory standards.
Respirators and face masks are tested for performance, based on regulatory standards, to help assure the wearer’s safety and protection of others. Understanding those regulations can be difficult, but Intertek has the industry knowledge and technical expertise to evaluate your product. As a leading provider of respiratory protection device testing, Intertek can assist you with testing requirements for different global markets like the U.S., Europe, and Asia and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) pre-certifications, helping you get your product to market quickly.
In the United States, respirator performance is regulated and approved by NIOSH. These devices include N95 disposable respirators that are typically used by medical and other professional personnel. In Europe, respirators must comply with EN 149, which outlines performance requirements for three types of particle-filtering respirators: FFP1, FFP2 and FFP3. Australia, Brazil, Canada, China and India also have respirator standards and testing requirements in place. To begin the process of having your product NIOSH certified, contact Intertek today!
Medical or surgical face masks require a comprehensive set of tests that measure performance by evaluating the material’s resistance to penetration. Medical face mask performance is regulated by the FDA in the United States following ASTM F2100. Intertek also offers testing to medical face mask standards in Europe (EN 14683), China (GB 32610, GB 19083, YY/T 0969-2013 and YY04969-2011) and Taiwan (CNS 14774).
Intertek’s Mask Label Program is offered to support our customers in communicating the verified quality and performance attributes of mask products through a trusted tool. It also helps to promote regulatory compliance and increase traceability of mask products on the market.
Barrier Face Coverings or fabric masks are not currently regulated by any federal agency but follow ASTM F3502 standard or AATCC M14 guidance and considerations for measurement of mask performance and quality.
Intertek offers fabric face mask testing to determine safety and performance attributes like restricted substances, labeling, fiber content, care label instructions, flammability, packaging requirements, breathability assessment, security of ear loops and tensile strength.
Law Enforcement & Emergency Services Respiratory Protection Testing
Intertek offers additional respiratory protection testing for respirators used by law enforcement and emergency services following the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards. Tests include:
- NFPA 1981, Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for Emergency Services
- NFPA 1984, Standard on Respirators for Wildland Fire Fighting Operations
- NFPA 1986, Standard on Respiratory Protection Equipment for Tactical and Technical Operations
- NFPA 1987, Standard on Combination Unit Respirator Systems for Tactical and Technical Operations
- ASTM E2952, Standard Specification for Air-Purifying Respiratory Protective Smoke Escape Devices (RPED)
You might be interested in...
lntertek offers manufacturing and operation certification to qualified clean and safe production sites.
We also provide comprehensive tests for medical masks and respirators against the following US, EU, China and Taiwan standards:
- ASTM F2100, NI0SH CFR Part 84
- EN 14683, EN 149
- GB 32610, GB 2626, GB 19083
- YY /T 0969-2013, YY0469-2011
- N95 Pre-test
- CNS 15980, CNS 14774
- Flame Detectors: FM 3260 Testing & Certification - fact sheet
- 10 Considerations for an Efficient Product Approval - fact sheet
- Becoming a Listed Alarm Service Company - white paper
- Overview of Product Certification - webinar
- Testing and Certification of Heat Alarms and Detectors - fact sheet
- Life Safety Security Testing and Certification Solutions - fact sheet
- Alarm Service Certification and Assurance
- Product Listing & Marking Strategies - white paper
- AHJ Handbook
- Becoming a Listed Central Station - white paper
From raw materials sourcing, to production, to retail, Intertek's end-to-end Total Quality Assurance solutions safeguard the quality and safety of a wide array of PPE and their supply chains with unmatched strengths. From raw materials sourcing, to production, to retail, Intertek's end-to-end Total Quality Assurance solutions safeguard the quality and safety of a wide array of PPE and their supply chains with unmatched strengths.