Robots & Robotics Series - Part 3
North American Requirements
19 November 2019
As multiple industries explore and develop robots and robotics, it is important to understand the hazards and testing options for these devices. It is also critical to understand regulatory requirements for the specific market a product will enter. Previously, we explored the standards and regulations at play in Europe. Now we'll take a deeper dive into what is required in the U.S. and Canada.
A series of standards have been developed for the North American market which, together with existing international standards, ensure a high degree of safety evaluation.
- ANSI/RIA R15.06: American national standard for industrial robots and robot systems safety requirements
- ANSI/RIA R15.08: Subcommittee on Industrial Mobile Robot Safety
- ANSI/UL 1740: Standard for robots and robotic equipment
- CAN/CSA Z434: Industrial robots and robot systems
- EN ISO 10218-1: Robots and robotic devices - Safety requirements for industrial robots
- EN ISO 10218-2: Robots and robotic devices - Safety requirements for industrial robots; robot systems and integration
- ISO 13482: Robots and robotic devices - Safety requirements for personal care robots
- IEC 61508-1: Functional safety of electrical/ electronic/ programmable electronic safety-related systems; Part 1: General requirements
- IEC 61508-2: Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems. Part 2: Requirements for electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems
- IEC 61508-3: Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems. Part 3: Requirements for software.
- IEC 62061: Safety of machinery - Functional safety of safety-related electrical, electronic and programmable electronic control systems
As the use of robots continues to evolve, manufacturers will need to stay informed of new standards, along with new technologies and applications. Knowing the hazards and testing available will also assist in meeting regulatory requirements and in ensuring products that meet quality and safety standards are getting to market quickly and efficiently. For more insights on quality and compliance for robots and robotics, download our complimentary fact sheet.