Vegan Mark Verification Program for Apparel and Footwear
Intertek’s Vegan Mark enables retailers, brands, and manufacturers to promote their products as being free of materials of animal origin, and can be used to help consumers make educated decisions about the fashion products they purchase.
Veganism has increased in popularity as a lifestyle in recent years. More than just what people choose to eat, veganism proliferates in the fashion world as well, with clothes, shoes and accessories increasingly being made without fur, leather, wool, or silk.
It can be difficult to verify a vegan product claim as the product's primary materials may not be of animal origin, yet contain additives such as glues and dyes which are derived from animals or animal by-products (e.g. beeswax) and not considered vegan. Some of the vegan mark programs in the market are backed up by supplier declarations only. To answer the market demand for a trustworthy program to verify vegan claims, Intertek has developed the Vegan Mark Verification Program with a testing protocol covering:
- Declaration by applicant
- Screening of animal fiber
- Screening of synthetic material by Fourier transform infrared (FTIR)
- Chemical test on animal tracer
Successful applicants can obtain the Intertek Vegan Mark for your apparel, footwear, and accessories products.
- Assures products and materials do not contain materials of animal origin through an added step of testing
- Enables brands to verify and demonstrate that their products are free of animal by-products
- Provides traceability with a unique QR code that links to our Intertek Vegan Mark Directory
- Helps consumers easily identify the products’ vegan attributes when purchasing
Need help or have a question?