Accelerated Weathering Testing for Plastics and Polymers
Environmental exposure, including weathering, accelerated ageing testing for plastics, polymers and composites
Accelerated Weathering Testing for Plastics and Polymers is necessary to ensure that materials and products meet their expected functionality and lifetime.
An array of variables exist that ensure that the effects of ageing and weathering are hard to predict and as such can cause problems in the future which may reflect back upon the product and your business in a negative way.
Intertek provides accelerated weathering testing of polymer and plastic materials and products through a plethora of different tests. Our experts test the resistance of polymeric products against environmental impact, weathering, temperature, humidity and repeated sterilization or UV/ Xenon exposure. The polymer materials or products will be exposed under defined conditions such as heat, UV, and other stress to determine its critical properties before and after exposure.
Materials typically tested include inks and dyes (for example in fascia boards), pipelines destined for hot environments; medical devices, such as blood bags. We also have capabilities to offer Automotive Materials Weathering Testing.
Weathering standards for plastic and polymer ageing testing:
- Accelerated weathering by QUV - ASTM D4329, ASTM D 4587, ISO 4892
- Materials weathering tests by Xenon Arc - ASTM G155, ISO 4892, ASTM D2565, ASTM D4459
- Elevated temperature testing on properties of plastics by deterioration
- Accelerated ageing of automotive materials by Xenon Arc - SAE J2020, SAE J1885, SAE J1960, VDA 75202, PV3929, PV3930 as well as stipulations from other major OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) such as BMW, Daimler and Nissan.
Chemical exposure services:
- Chemical resistance testing for polymers and plastics - ASTM D543
- Effects of liquids on elastomers - ASTM D471
- Environmental Stress Cracking Resistance ESCR test - ASTM D1693
Environmental simulation / conditioning:
- Moisture absorption of composites - ASTM D5229
Different accelerated exposure tests may be used depending on product type and application. Intertek is able to tailor ageing tests to follow customized procedures where suggested. For more information or to discuss your needs with one of our polymer experts please contact us via the details on this page.
Need help or have a question?
- Wilton UK:
- +44 1642 435 788
- +31 88 126 8888
- +1 413 499 0983
- +65 6805 4800
- 0800 5855888
- +49 711 27311 152
- +41 61 686 4800
- 01 800 5468 3783
- +52 55 5091 2150
- +55 11 2322 8033
- +61 1300 046 837
- +91 22 4245 0207