Intertek Scientific & Regulatory Consultancy Staff: Joyce K. Borkhoff
Joyce K. Borkhoff, Vice President, Chemicals & Food and Nutrition
As a regulatory chemist, Ms. Borkhoff has been employed in senior positions within the chemical industry for over 25 years. Her technical and regulatory acumen and her strong communication and interpersonal skills enabled her to develop and deliver Health, Environment, Safety, Security, and Stewardship programs that addressed all regulatory obligations while contributing to the development and success of corporate business strategies. To support her employers’ outreach interests, her leadership and advanced mediation skills enabled her to successfully represent the interests of the chemical industry in bilateral and multi-stakeholder regulatory forums that have tackled the development and evolution of a wide variety of legislative and regulatory amendments.
Ms. Borkhoff is well known for her ability to effectively characterize and communicate the impacts of the regulatory environment on the chemical industry. She is frequently invited to contribute to trade magazines and present her advice and experience to a wide range of SME and large multi-national audiences. Her technical and regulatory experience and her strong knowledge of the North American Chemical Industry, makes Ms. Borkhoff uniquely qualified to provide practical, best-in-class service to help the NAFTA market understand and meet the requirements of Global Notification/Registration programs, including EU REACH.
As an industry expert and advocate, she has participated in numerous industry/government tables and multi-stakeholder consultations regarding such topics as toxic substance management; the review and re-engineering of the CEPA; the New Substances Notification Regulations (NSNR); the Environmental Assessment Regulations for substances regulated under Food and Drug Act; and the Canadian Chemicals Management Plan (CMP) including information gathering (Section 71) and inventory updates; risk assessment; and risk management.
At Intertek Health Sciences, Ms. Borkhoff serves as Vice President of the North American Chemicals and Food & Nutrition Groups, delivering expert advice and direction to clients who seek compliance and understanding of a wide variety of chemical control legislation and regulatory initiatives. She also leads the Chemicals team of regulatory and scientific experts who help clients address challenging regulatory climates and demanding marketplaces, in a timely and cost-effective manner, by successfully using surrogate data, estimation methods, or waiver requests, to meet complex requirements for physical-chemical and toxicological information prescribed under a variety of new and existing chemical notification and assessment programs across the globe.
Joyce Borkoff Publications & Blogs:
- Methylenediphenyl diisocyanates (MDIs) and Methylenediphenyl diamines (MDAs) Substance Grouping Update (Intertek Blog, July 2017)
- Results of Health Canada’s Prioritization of the Revised In Commerce List (ICL) (Intertek Blog, June 2017)
- Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Reform (Intertek Blog, June 2016)
- US EPA 2016 Chemical Data Reporting: Are You Ready? (Intertek Blog, May 2016)
- Canada requests early industry engagement for Phase 3 of the Chemicals Management Plan (CMP3) (Intertek Blog, March 2016)
- The Deadline for Non-Disclosure Request of Trade Secrets in Korea is Feb. 29, 2016 (Intertek Blog, February 2016)
- REACH 2018: Plan, Gather, Implement (Intertek Blog, October 2015)
- Part 3 of 3: Mixtures, Manufactured Items and Products (Intertek Blog, August 2014)
- Part 2 of 3: Mixtures, Manufactured Items and Products (Intertek Blog, March 2014)
- A Closer Look: EFSA-SC Weighs in on Endocrine Disruptors (Intertek Blog, January 2014)
- Mixtures, Manufactured Items and Products (Intertek Blog, December 2013)
- Canadian GHS is Coming! (Intertek Blog, July 2013)
- Significant New Activity Notice Issued for 52 Substances in Canada (Intertek Blog, July 2013)
- South Korea Launches K-REACH (Intertek Blog, June 2013)
- Mixing, Blending and Formulating: Salt does happen! (Intertek Blog, May 2013)
- Update: Publication of the Revised In-Commerce List (Intertek Blog, May 2013)
- National Pollutant Releases Inventory Reporting Notice Issued by Environment Canada (Intertek Blog, April 2013)
- VOC Regulations in Canada are Changing (Intertek Blog, March 2013)
- Canada Launches Mandatory DSL Survey to Industry for 2700 Substances (Intertek Blog, December 2012)
- European Union's REACH Regulation (published in PCI Paints & Coatings Industries Magazine, May 2008)
Need help or have a question?
- +86 10 5657 6600
- +33 (0)2 78 94 01 78
- +44 1252 392 464
- +81 3 5643 8643