Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy
Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy Laboratory providing specialised insight
Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope (CLSM) plays an important role in materials analysis from fluorescence microscopy, optical sectioning and chemical imaging perspectives. Confocality removes many of the disadvantages of light microscopy, such as a resolution limited by the wavelength of light. In effect, the CLSM is a highly sensitive, non-contact, fluorescence microscope with an optical sectioning capability that eliminates the need for thin sections of materials.
Confocal Laser Scanning allows Intertek scientists to utilise natural auto-fluorescence to image the detailed morphology of aerospace composites. Additionally, incorporation of fluorescent molecular probes allows CLSM to spatially locate phases of interest in biological systems and food technology applications.
The use of CLSM allows Intertek scientists to probe the complex phase distributions that often drive the underlying performance of many of our clients’ products in the marketplace. With a broad based knowledge across many industry sectors, Intertek scientists are developing new applications, particularly where confocal microscopy is used to generate quantitative data in conjunction with our image analysis experts.
Intertek scientists integrate Confocal Microscopy, Electron Microscopy and Light Microscopy to deliver an unprecedented capability in the study of structure–property relationships across a wide range of industry sectors.
Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy Applications
- Failure Analysis of Medical Devices
- Fracture Analysis in Aerospace Composites
- Gelation studies to improve texture performance in the food Industry
- Targeted delivery and controlled release studies in complex biopolymer systems
- The spatial location of active materials in spray dried flavour ingredients
- Characterisation of film forming polymers as a development tool in the coatings industry
- Assessment of the efficacy of biocides on microbial populations in the microbiology sector
- Improved understanding of bubble structure and stabilisation in the beverage industry
- Improvements to foam structure and morphology in materials science
- Improved quantification of dispersed droplet size in emulsion-based systems for the food sector
- Process optimisation of hot melt adhesives as applied to porous substrates in the packaging industry
- Optical cross-sectioning of encapsulation systems and chemical imaging of encapsulated phases
Need help or have a question?
- EMEA UK:
- +44 116 296 1620
- +31 88 126 8888
- +33 (0) 385 99 12 80
- +65 6805 4800
- 0800 5855888
- +49 711 27311 152
- +41 61 686 4800
- 01 800 5468 3783
- +52 55 5091 2150
- +55 11 2322 8033
- +61 1300 046 837
- +91 22 4245 0207
- +971 4 317 8777