IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Management System
IATF 16949:2016 helps your automotive organization reduce variation and waste in the supply chain using continuous improvement.
IATF 16949 is the Quality Management Systems standard for the Automotive industry. The standard applies the ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System as the foundation of the standard and incorporates the latest automotive standards spanning the globe. By adopting the standard organizations demonstrate an elite level of dedication to quality excellence.
The Automotive Quality Management Systems standard ensures that your organization is creating quality products and performing services in accordance with stringent automotive industry expectations. It defines the quality management systems requirements for the design and development, production, assembly, and installation of automotive-related products, as well as relevant services to the automotive industry. Obtaining a certificate assures your customers that your organization is committed to an effective and consistent supply chain.
How IATF 16949 benefits your organization:
- Demonstrates to your customers the ability to provide products that meet regulatory and safety requirements
- Identifies and addresses the risks associated with your organization driving innovation and improvement
- Provides you with a plan to increase productivity and efficiency
- Ensures your organization demonstrates ethical practices and corporate social responsibility, such as an anti-bribery policy
The transition to IATF 16949
In October 2016, IATF 16949:2016 was published to replace ISO/TS 16949. As of September 2018, all ISO/TS 16949 certificates have expired. The major changes from ISO/TS 16949 to IATF 16949 included an emphasis on product safety, expansion of focus on risk management, supplier management, and others.
Certification with Intertek
Your management system's certification to the Automotive Quality Management Systems standard will help you continuously improve your products and customer satisfaction. Our industry-expert auditors deliver innovative and thorough auditing solutions, to help you see your business more clearly. Intertek’s Total Quality Assurance will give you the valuable tools to meet objectives, identify cost savings, adapt to standard revisions, and make measurable improvements to your business.
Additional Information and Resources on the Automotive Quality Management Systems standard
- IATF – International Automotive Task Force - The International Automotive Task Force is an “ad hoc” group of automotive manufacturers and their respective trade associations, formed to provide improved quality products to automotive customers worldwide. This website has access to the 16949 standard, rules, communiques, OEM requirements, and International Automotive Task Force publications.
- IAOB - International Automotive Oversight Bureau - One of 5 oversight offices created by the International Automotive Task Force to oversee the certification bodies who perform the audits and issue certificates. The IOAB is Intertek’s oversight.
- AIAG – Automotive Action Industry Group - Collaborates with the International Automotive Task Force and 5 oversight groups developing standard and core tools (FMEA, Control Plan, SPC, MSA, etc.)
Related Automotive Solutions
Need help or have a question?
- +44 (0) 116 296 1620
- +61 1300 046 837
- +31 88 126 8888
- Asia Pacific
- +86 21 50273066
- +46 8 750 0000