Regulatory & Consulting Services for Feed Ingredients, Feed Additives, Livestock Feed, and Pet Foods
Providing global scientific and regulatory solutions for livestock feed and pet food industries.
Feed ingredients and additives must be safe and support the utility of the feed for the target species under the intended conditions of use. As such, premarket authorisation and/or registration is typically required for animal feeds and is determined by the authoritative oversight in each regulatory jurisdiction.
Considering the varying regulatory routes to authorisation between and within each jurisdiction that are continuously evolving in response to consumer and industry demands, concise and up-to-date regulatory support including clear communication between industry, stakeholders, and the regulatory agencies is pivotal to developing a successful strategy for regulatory authorisation and getting new products to market.
Intertek has a well-connected global team with extensive experience and familiarity with the regulatory requirements for feed ingredient and additive approvals in several major jurisdictions worldwide. Our knowledgeable staff can perform a wide range of functions to provide scientific and regulatory support at all stages of product development and sales.
Approval of feed ingredients and additives globally requires a clear strategy that can be executed efficiently and effectively. The scientific and regulatory staff at Intertek has the expertise and flexibility to outline the challenges with gaining regulatory approval and to provide an actionable plan to address these challenges.
Our services include:
- Developing successful regulatory strategies and conducting feasibility assessments to determine scientific data gaps
- Designing and placing of studies to support the safety and efficacy (utility) of a feed ingredient for the intended use in the intended species or target animals
- Conducting literature searches and data collection
- Undertaking safety and efficacy assessments
- Coordinating and developing dialogue with regulatory agencies
- Preparing registration dossiers and stewarding through regulatory and scientific body assessment (FDA, EFSA, etc.)
- Coordinating Expert Panel reviews as part of the GRAS determination process
- Facilitating the publication of pivotal data to meet the “general recognition” aspect of GRAS
- In the United States, feed ingredients are known as animal foods and there are 3 routes to approval in which ingredients intended for use as components of animal feed must be either approved food additives, Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) for the intended use, or Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) defined ingredients.
- In Europe, Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003 on additives for use in animal nutrition sets out detailed requirements for the pre-market approval of feed additives
- In Canada, all feed ingredients for use in livestock must be approved for market by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and listed in Schedules IV and V of the Feeds Regulation (1983). Registration of some ingredients as well as some mixed feeds with the CFIA may also be required.
Need help or have a question?