Diethylene Glycol Testing
Diethylene glycol (DEG) testing, detection and analysis
Intertek laboratories detect the presence of diethylene glycol in consumer products, ingredients and raw materials. Diethylene Glycol (DEG) has been used as a substitute to Glycerol (Glycerin) in toothpaste (dentifrice), cough syrup and other consumer product preparations manufactured and exported to global consumer markets as private-label brands or in counterfeit products. Intertek laboratories screen products and raw materials for the presence of DEG and other chemical compounds, down to trace level quantification if required.
Diethylene Glycol Analytical Testing Expertise:
- Use of the Forensic Chemistry Center (FCC) method to examine toothpaste for the presence of Diethylene Glycol and a related substance of similar toxicity, Ethylene Glycol, at levels of 500 µg/g and above using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Samples are extracted using a mixture of acetonitrile/water. Then, the extract is centrifuged to remove solids and a portion of the supernatant is analyzed on a polar GC column.
- Screening by Gas Chromatography - Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) using single ion monitoring for presence.
- Quantification using Gas Chromatography with flame ionization detection (GC-FID) down to levels below 0.01%.
- Analysis of products for the presence of diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol is available through Intertek laboratories in the USA, UK and Australia.
- Di-ethylene-glycol formula: C4H10O3
- Glycerol formula: C3H8O3
Related Consumer Product Testing:
Need help or have a question?
- EMEA UK:
- +44 161 721 5247
- +31 88 126 8888
- +1 800 967 5352
- +33 (0) 385 99 12 80
- +65 6805 4800
- 0800 5855888
- +49 711 27311 152
- +41 61 686 4800
- 01 800 5468 3783
- +52 55 5091 2150
- +55 11 2322 8033
- +61 1300 046 837
- +91 22 4245 0207
- +971 4 317 8777