Whole Building Air Barrier Testing
Gain control of the air in your building and gain control of your costs and air quality
With approximately 30% of your building’s energy usage utilized to compensate for air leakage, the need to control the air entering and leaving your building is more than an air quality issue, it is also a cost issue. By making a building more air tight, and increasing the performance of a building, less of the conditioned air is lost through enclosures reducing the load on the mechanical systems. This not only puts less stress on a system, but also allows for a more efficiently sized system.
With Intertek’s Whole Building Air Barrier Testing, our customers can confirm the building’s design intent is met by quantifying the air leakage of a completed building. With a staff trained and certified in Whole Building Air Barrier Testing and Infrared Thermography, we have the experience and knowledge to perform the appropriate testing helping our customers meet their required standards. Additionally, because the testing is completed towards the end of a building’s construction, it makes leaky systems difficult to repair. To assist with this, Intertek’s Building Sciences staff can provide additional assistance throughout the design and construction phase increasing the potential to achieve a passing test in the end.
Common Standards Tested
- ASTM E1827 Standard Test Methods for Determining Airtightness of Buildings Using an Orifice Blower Door
- ASTM E779 Standard Test Method for Determining Air Leakage Rate by Fan Pressurization
- ASTM E1186 Standard Practices for Air Leakage Site Detection in Building Envelopes and Air Barrier Systems
- ISO 6781 Thermal Insulation Qualitative Detection of Thermal Irregularities in Building Envelopes - Infrared Method
- ASTM C1060 Standard Practice for Thermographic Inspection of Insulation Installations in Envelope Cavities of Frame Buildings