Global Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) Solutions for Food Packaging and Other FCMs
GMPs ensure that materials and articles are being consistently produced and controlled to achieve compliance with applicable regulations and standards.
GMPs prevent contamination during the entire production lifecycle for food contact materials (FCMs) and articles - from the raw materials selection phase through to storage and transportation. With the sufficient risk assessment procedures, quality control measures and documentation systems in place, companies can ensure that their products are fit for their intended use, not endangering human health or causing unacceptable changes in the composition or organoleptic properties of food.
There are legally binding regulations in force in the EU, U.S. and China that specifically require companies to have good manufacturing practices (GMPs) in place for the production of materials and articles intended for food contact.
The GMP regulations are as follows:
- EU - European Commission Regulation (EC) No. 2023/2006 “On good manufacturing practice for materials and articles intended to come into contact with food”
- EU - Regulation (EC) No 282/2008 “On recycled plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with foods” amending Reg. (EC) No. 2023/2006
- USA - FDA Title 21 CFR 174.5 “General provisions applicable to indirect food additives”
- China - National Standard for Food Safety GB 31603-2015 “General Hygienic Specifications for Production of Food Contact Materials and Articles”
Other countries such as Japan or the countries under the Mercosur trade bloc have regulatory frameworks in place for food contact materials. These frameworks set general criteria around the safety of food contact packaging and often includes requirements for GMPs.
GMP regulations apply to different sectors and stages of the FCM supply chain, and the rules governing each industry may vary. Intertek experts have the regulatory knowledge and industry expertise to help you achieve global GMP compliance.
Our services include:
- GMP Regulatory Training
- Review of existing procedures
- Risk assessment support
- 2nd Party Audit