Asbestos Services New Zealand
Intertek is IANZ accredited (ISO 17025) to provide asbestos services in New Zealand, including asbestos testing, asbestos surveys, asbestos clearance certificates and more, all from our office & lab near Whangarei.
Intertek has been involved in the asbestos industry in New Zealand for over 10 years – we are IANZ accredited (ISO 17025) and offer a full range of asbestos management services to support you, including:
- Asbestos Testing – Obtain peace of mind with our quick response service to determine if your property contains asbestos, whether it be through asbestos bulk sample analysis or airborne testing.
- Asbestos Management Survey and Register – We will conduct an asbestos management survey and prepare a register that outlines any asbestos-containing materials that are present and recommendations for the safe and secure management of these materials.
- Asbestos Demolition and Refurbishment Survey and Register – We will conduct a fully intrusive asbestos R&D survey of the property to find all asbestos-containing materials present, these are outlined in a report for the purposes of any refurbishment or demolition work being carried out.
- Remediation Plans – We prepare a full methodology for asbestos removal companies to follow.
- Contractor Management – Our independence means we can oversee the removal contractor and check they complete the work correctly, making sure they save you time and money.
- Clearance Certificate – We act as independent WorkSafe Licensed asbestos assessors overseeing all stages of asbestos removal and issuing up to 4 stage clearance certification following the removal works making sure the area is safe for reoccupation.
- Reassurance testing – We can carry out air quality testing and swab testing to determine if there is any contamination present on the premises following an asbestos removal.
- Asbestos Project Management – We are often called in to oversee contract engagement and project management of asbestos removal. We guarantee the site will be clear of asbestos and safe for occupation after the removal.
Our Asbestos division, based near Whangarei, works closely with our clients, including the local authorities, to comply with New Zealand's asbestos legislation and regulations. We assist them in producing detailed, comprehensive survey reports and registers which contain practical recommendations regarding the management of any issues identified. We specialise in the following:
- Asbestos air monitoring
- Asbestos bulk analysis & sampling
- Asbestos clearance certification
- Asbestos surveying
- Asbestos awareness training
Frequently Asked Questions about Asbestos in New Zealand
Why are asbestos services a priority now in New Zealand?
Asbestos is New Zealand’s number one killer in the workplace. Worldwide thousands of people die each year from asbestos-related diseases. Due to its strength, durability and resistance to fire and water, asbestos was widely used in building products and materials up until the late 1990s and is present in many buildings and workplaces.
Worksafe NZ introduced new regulations in 2016 which aim to minimise the health impacts of asbestos in workplaces. Businesses are now required to identify and implement appropriate asbestos management controls in accordance with the new regulations.
What are the roles and responsibilities for asbestos by businesses in New Zealand?
Under the asbestos regulations, owners or duty holders have a responsibility to identify and manage any asbestos and Asbestos-Containing Material (ACM) that may cause risk in the workplace.
Some key elements of these requirements include:
- Businesses have a responsibility to identify and manage any asbestos and ACM that may cause risk in the workplace
- Any airborne contamination which exceeds the new standard must be addressed
- Businesses are required to arrange independent testing through an accredited company/laboratory
- Businesses are required to provide training and health monitoring for workers who may be exposed to asbestos in the workplace
- Where asbestos or ACM is present in a workplace, businesses are required to implement and maintain a compliant Asbestos Management Plan and appropriate controls or removal.
Full detail of the legislation can be found on the WorkSafe NZ website
How do these asbestos regulations apply to you?
If you undertake work or manage a workplace which was built before the year 2000, there is a high probability that the property may contain asbestos or ACM. Under the new legislation, you are required to undertake measures to identify and address this risk.
How do you comply with New Zealand's asbestos regulations?
Asbestos assessments in New Zealand must be completed by a licensed assessor and tested through an accredited laboratory.