Characterisation of Nanotechnology in Cosmetics
Innovative nanotechnology is finding increased application in the cosmetics industry.
The EU Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009, will require manufacturers to list any nanoparticles contained in products marketed within the EU. Intertek's scientists and consultants can help cosmetics companies to be prepared to respond to questions regarding the new information, assess potential risks associated with nanomaterials and conduct tests to rigorously ensure that cosmetics are safe for consumers.
Nanoparticle Cosmetics Characterisation:
Intertek’s nanotechnology scientists are highly experienced in providing a range of advanced techniques to study nanosystems in cosmetics. These unparalleled characterization services ensure that clients gain detailed information about their nanotechnology application and also investigate the presence or absence of nanosystems in their cosmetic raw materials and formulated products. Examples include nanoparticulates, nano-liposomes, nanoemulsions and nanoactive species.
Nanotechnology Cosmetics Characterisation Techniques:
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) to explore shape and morphology
- SEM coupled with Energy Dispersive X-Ray diffraction (EDAX) allows elemental information to be gained for individual particles
- Surface area measurements and Powder X-ray Diffraction (XRD) for crystallinity/ morpholoyg and size
- Particle size determination (PSD) technology such as Laser Diffraction methods or Disc centrifugation
- Cryo-SEM and cryo preparation preserve nano-liposome microstructure and allows imaging
- Dynamic Light Scattering and other PSD methods to measure size of the dispersed liposomes.
- Wide range of High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) / Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography (UPLC) detection systems to quantify the levels of active present
- Sensitive Inductively Coupled Plasma - Optical Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-OES) or Inductively Coupled Plasma - Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) to determine trace metals and quantify nanoactives such as nanosilver
Intertek's global network of clinical researchers and regulatory consultants provide clinical testing, toxicology safety assessments, regulatory guidance, and dossier services.
Cosmetics Testing, Safety, and Regulatory Services:
Need help or have a question?
- N. America
- +1 561 989 7294
- +33 2 78 94 01 78
- +852 2173 8888
- +44 (0)116 263 0330