Intertek can assist with all facets of acoustical testing, helping you meet third-party acoustical and airflow performance requirements defined by specifiers, buyers, and regulatory authorities
Turnaround times for many of our tests are less than one week from receipt of sample to issuing of test report.
We offer a wide range of acoustical, airflow, and leakage testing services on products like air conditioners, dishwashers, windows and doors. Our acoustical and airflow testing laboratory is one of the most extensive and diversified facilities of its kind.
- Association Testing: We test according to Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) and Air Movement and Control Association (AMCA) program requirements.
- Leakage Testing: We perform leakage testing on several different product types including recessed lighting, air handler cases, PTACs, and others.
- ENERGY STAR® Noise Rating: We test to ENERGY STAR Noise Rating standards as well as several different vibration measurement standards.
- Product Development Assistance: We can conduct testing characterizing the sound and airflow performance of alternate components and designs.
- Field Tests and Verifications: We perform many types of field tests and verifications, including: FIIC, ASTC, NIC, NNIC, Sound Power, Sound Pressure, and Sound Intensity.
Our floor ceiling assemblies include 6” concrete, 6” concrete with ceiling plenum, and a 100 sq. ft. floor opening for custom floor/ceiling systems to ASTM and ISO. The 6” concrete is also used for Delta IIC measurements.
Examples of products we test include:
- Mechanical Equipment and Accessories: Outdoor unitary air conditioning equipment, ducted and non-ducted indoor air conditioning equipment, grilles, registers and diffusers, air control and distribution devices, fans, blowers and other air moving devices, machines, mechanical and electrical equipment and sub-assemblies; and hand-held power tools
- Building Materials and Assemblies: Partitions (i.e., office panels), walls, doors, windows and floor/ceiling assemblies, carpeting, wall coverings, acoustical panels and ceiling tiles, duct liner materials and prefabricated silencers (standard size 2’x2’, round, straight, or elbow), recessed lights
- Household Appliances: Room air conditioners, room air cleaners, vacuum cleaners, clothes washers, dishwashers, blenders, mixers, can openers and other small and large appliances
Our facilities include multiple reverberation rooms:
- Main Room: Sound absorption, Sound Power, and Receiving room for sound transmission testing; room size 470 m3/16400 ft3
- Second Room: Source room for horizontal sound transmission testing, receiving room for vertical sound transmission testing and impact insulation class; room size 283m3/10000 ft3
- Third Room: Source room for vertical sound transmission testing and source room for impact insulation class testing; 65 m3/2300 ft3
- Fourth Room: Source room for impact insulation class over 6” concrete and 6” concrete with a ceiling plenum
- Hemi or Semi-Anechoic Room: Test room for sound pressure, sound power, articulation class; room size 115 m3/4000 ft3
- Air Diffusion Test Room: Facility for testing Grilles, registers, diffusers and related equipment
- Low Noise, High Flow Air Supply: 11,000 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) quiet air supply for testing ducts, silencers and terminal air units with measuring stations from a few CFM to the full 11,000