Burst of Unrestrained Packages ASTM F1140
Internal Pressurization Failure Resistance of Unrestrained Packages
ASTM F1140 Scope:
ASTM F1140 evaluates the response of flexible packaging subjected to internal pressure. The method is applicable to a variety of packaging sizes, shapes and seal configurations and may be performed at stages along the packaging life cycle. Packaging configurations options include open/closed and with/without the product. Three tests are outlined within ASTM F1140: Burst; Creep Test; and Creep to Failure.
Procedure is based on package configuration and method selected.
For the Open Package Test, an open package is inserted and clamped in the equipment.
For the Closed Package Test, a pressurization probe is inserted into a sealed package.
- Test Method A (Burst Test) - A package is inserted in the equipment and increased pressure is applied to burst failure.
- Test Method B1 (Creep Test) - A specified pressure for a specified time is applied to a package to determine pass/fail.
- Test Method B2 (Creep to Failure) - A package is creep tested and time to failure is determined.
- Burst - burst pressure value and failure location
- Creep Test- time and pressure at which the package was held
- Creep to Failure - time and pressure at which the package failed
**Please note that this test description is intentionally generic in nature and aimed at providing a descriptive summary to enhance test understanding. Standards can be obtained from appropriate standards authorities.
Need help or have a question?