Pre-testing of Bunker Fuels
Pre-testing marine bunker fuel reduces the risk of costly engine damage and expensive debunkering.
Bunker fuel pre-testing is provided by Intertek Lintec, enabling bunker fuel quality to be known prior to delivery to the ship. Pre-testing gives marine bunker fuel purchasers the ability to evaluate fuel quality and either accept the fuel or request the supplier to provide an alternative bunker stem.
Pre-testing of marine bunker fuel helps ensure off-specification fuel is not delivered to the vessel, and reduces the risk for costly debunkering of bad fuel.
Marine Bunker fuel pre-testing:
- Intertek Lintec personnel remain in contact with the fuel supplier to avoid or minimize potential delays.
- Samples are transported to a Intertek Lintec bunker fuel lab, where a volumetric composite of all tanks sampled is prepared.
- Composite samples are tested by Intertek to an abbreviated version of ISO 8217, using modified test methods.
- Testing is prompt, between 4-6 hours. If fuel parameters fail to meet the fuel specification, additional testing and time may be required.
- Results are reported to the vessel and/or client before the barge commences pumping bunker fuel to the vessel, so that the fuel quality designated for that client vessel is confirmed and known prior to bunkering.
- In most cases, barges are instructed by the supplier to wait for Intertek Lintec results before fuel pumping operations.
- Sampling of the barge is a critical part of the operation, as non-representative samples affect quality. The Intertek surveyor is instructed to follow proper sampling procedures. Copies of the sampling procedure and pre-testing analysis protocol are included with client quotations.
Need help or have a question?