Electrical Safety Testing for Food Service Equipment
We can complete the Electrical Safety Testing of your Food Service Equipment in as little as 15 days, helping to significantly reduce your cost and time to market
Intertek's food service industry experts are familiar with a variety of products ranging from commercial ovens and freezers to food preparation tables and warming lights. We know the requirements your product must meet in order to be sold globally.
Electrical Safety Testing: North America
Whether your food service equipment will be used in a restaurant, supermarket, or packaging facility, it is subject to various national safety requirements. Before it can be sold within North America it must demonstrate compliance with such safety standards as:
- UL 763 - Standard for Motor-Operated Commercial Food Preparing Machines
- UL 982 - Standard for Motor-Operated Household Food Preparing Machines
- UL 1026 - Standard for Electric Household Cooking and Food Serving Appliances
Once your product has been found to be in compliance with the applicable safety requirements, the ETL Listed Mark will be applied to your product, indicating that it has been independently tested, found to be compliant with applicable safety standards, and meets the minimal requirements for sale or distribution within North America. The ETL Listed Mark indicates that your product has been independently tested by an OSHA recognized Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
Electrical Safety Testing: Europe
Intertek can assist you in meeting all applicable regional requirements in Europe. Intertek’s Notified Body status gives you direct access to testing, review, and approvals all under one roof. We can offer you the following full testing and certification services for European market access:
- S Mark- The S Mark provides evidence to authorities and your customers that Intertek has independently tested and certified your product’s compliance to applicable European safety requirements. Learn more...
- GS Mark- Any electrical, mechanical, or electro-mechanical product bearing the GS Mark indicates that it was tested and complies with the minimum requirements of the German Device Safety Act. The GS Mark is a licensed mark of the German government and may only be issued by an accredited product safety testing and certification agency. Learn more…
- CE Mark – Before your food service equipment can be placed on the European market they must meet the requirements of the relevant product directives. Directives are joint rules that have been put in place to simplify trade to and between the member countries of the European Union. All directives dealing with safety require products to be CE marked before they can be marketed within the EU. Learn more information on the CE Mark.
As a Notified Body for CE Marking Intertek can test your product to the following Directives:
Gas Appliance Directive (GAD) – Under the GAD your gas appliance must meet minimum construction, design, and materials requirements. For food service equipment, the GAD specifically covers products intended for cooking, heating, hot water production, cooling, lighting, or washing. Our GAD experts can assist you through all steps of the testing process necessary for CE Marking.
Low Voltage Directive (LVD) – If your electrical product has a voltage rating between 50V and 1000V for AC and 75V to 1500V for DC you may need to comply with the LVD. Intertek can assist you in showing your compliance to the LVD by conducting the necessary testing for CE Marking, helping you to prepare your technical documentation and your Declaration of Conformity.
Machinery Directive – The Machinery Directive addresses product risk not covered with the LVD or GAD. Intertek will work with you to determine if your food service equipment must meet the requirements of the Machinery Directive. If so, our experts will assist you in showing your compliance to the Machinery Directive by conducting the necessary testing for CE Marking and helping you to prepare your technical documentation and your Declaration of Conformity. In addition, if your product falls within the "high risk" machinery category listed in Annex 4 of the directive, our experts will work with you to create a detailed technical file.
Intertek is a Notified Body
Within the Intertek group there are four European Union based Notified Bodies to provide you with quick, streamlined access including:
- DEKRA ITS, German N/B No: 0124
- Intertek Testing & Certification UK N/B No: 0359
- Intertek Semko, Sweden N/B No: 0413