EN71-13:2014 Safety of Toys - Olfactory Board Games, Cosmetic Kits and Gustative Games has been Harmonized
Vol. 785 | September 03, 2014
The European standard EN71-13:2014 focusing on toys involving DIY kits for cosmetic and food as well as game set for learning smell and taste has been published in the Official Journal of the European Union on 13.06.2014 as harmonized standard of the Toys Directive 2009/48/EC.
Type of Toy
Olfactory Board Game
Game set which is an aid for children to learn to recognize different odours or flavours
Cosmetic kit which assist children to learn making cosmetic products such as fragrances, soaps, shampoos, bath foams etc
Toy set which allow children to make sweets or dishes with food ingredients
Summary of Requirement
(1) Ingredients, substances and mixtures being used should meet the related ingredients requirement relating to food and cosmetic ingredients as stated in the standard.
(2) Allergenic substances within the prohibition list stated in Toys Directive shall not be present in the fragrances or flavours exceeding the level of 100 mg/kg.
Physical and Flammability requirements
(1) Glassware included in the set which are intended to be heated shall be made of borosilicate glass. Non-glass containers included in the set shall pass through the drop test specified under EN 71-1. Shape and size of containers shall meet the specific requirements stated in the standard.
(2) Containers of the gustative games shall be applied with food so that articles for food contacting to be subjected for food grade testing.
(3) Child-resistant containers shall be used for substances and mixtures classified as hazardous according to Regulation (EC) No. 1272/2008.
(4) The equipment for transferring liquid content shall function through mechanical means and not mouth-actuated.
(5) Equipment of eye protection if required shall conform to personal protective equipment directive 89/686/EEC.
(5) Maximum content for highly flammable liquids and flammable liquids in cosmetic kits and gustative games are restricted.
Marking and Labeling Requirement
Marking and warning requirements on packaging, containers, instructions as well as content list and first aid information applies to these toy sets. In particular, the packaging shall bear batch number, list of ingredients contained as well as shelf life information where relevant. Packaging of sets including fragrances with the 26 allergenic substances shall also bear the allergenic fragrance warning.
To learn more about testing olfactory board games, cosmetic kits and gustative games please contact Mr. Isaac Lam at +852 2173 8878, or email to Intertek.email@example.com