UK Market Conformity Assessment Marking
On the 01 August 2023, the Department for Business and Trade (DBT) announced its intention to indefinitely extend the use of CE marking for placing product onto the UK market which applies to 18 regulations under the remit of DBT:
- Recreational craft and personal watercraft
- Simple pressure vessels
- Electromagnetic compatibility
- Non-automatic weighing instruments
- Measuring instruments
- Measuring container bottles
- Equipment for potentially explosive atmospheres (ATEX)
- Radio equipment
- Pressure equipment
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Gas appliances
- Equipment for use outdoors
- Low voltage electrical equipment
For other UK Regulations that have special rules on transition dates such as Medical and Building Construction Product Regulations, for full details:
Medical Devices: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/implementation-of-the-future-regulation-of-medical-devices-and-extension-of-standstill-period/implementation-of-the-future-regulations
Building, Construction Products: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/construction-products-regulation-in-great-britain
Impact to Trade:UK authorities will continue to recognize the CE Mark indefinitely for product placed onto the UK market as well as the new UKCA / UKNI mark. indefinitely. For the Northern Ireland (NI) market, special marking rules (CE or CE /UKNI) will still apply. For further details on accessing the UK market can be found by visiting the UK Government websites:
Placing goods on the GB market: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/placing-manufactured-goods-on-the-market-in-great-britain
Placing goods on the NI market: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/placing-manufactured-goods-on-the-market-in-northern-ireland
Based on this announcement of using the CE mark indefinitely for the conformity of products will give UK and non-UK based manufacturers conformity route options:
- Manufacturers located in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) can use the UKCA or CE mark for placing product onto the Great Britain (GB) market.
- Manufacturers located in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) can use the CE mark for placing product onto the Great Britain (GB) market and Northern Ireland NI) market.
- Manufacturers located outside of Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) can use the UKCA or CE mark for placing product onto the Great Britain (GB) market.
- Manufacturers located in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) will still use the UKNI and CE mark combination for placing product onto the Northern Ireland (NI) market.
- Manufacturers located outside of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) can only use the CE mark for placing product onto the Northern Ireland (NI) market.
UK Manufacturer Product Marking
EU Manufacturer Product Marking
ROW Manufacturer Product Marking
UKCA or CE
UKCA or CE
UKCA or CE
CE and UK(NI)
Contact our experts today to find out about how Intertek can ensure access of your products or services to Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the European Union.
Download our UKCA Guidance Document today for further information on what you need to know about conformity marking for the EU or UK market.