Responsible Down Standard (RDS)
The RDS aims to protect ducks and geese used for down.
Textile Exchange is a global non-profit driving positive impact on climate change across the fashion and textile industry. It guides a growing community of brands, manufacturers, and farmers towards more purposeful production from the very start of the supply chain. Textile Exchange developed several important industry standards, including the Responsible Down Standard.
RDS incentivizes the down and feather industry to treat ducks and geese humanely and rewards organizations leading the way. The standard also gives companies and consumers a way to know what’s in the products they buy.
The scope of the RDS includes the full down supply chain from the farms and slaughter facilities (animal welfare) to the down processors and garment factories (traceability).
The RDS has the following objectives:
- Ensure to the highest possible standard that down and feathers don’t come from animals that have been subjected to unnecessary harm.
- Incentivize the down and feather industry to treat ducks and geese humanely.
- Give companies a way to know what’s in their products, and to make accurate claims.
- Ensure strong chain of custody for certified materials as they move along the supply chain.
How Intertek can help
Intertek is an accredited certification body for GOTS and for the following Textile Exchange standards GRS, RCS, OCS and CCS, including supply chain companies for RDS, and RAF (RWS, RMS, RAS) with a secondary scope (i.e. all RDS sites after the slaughter site and all RAF sites after the farm). We aid all sites in the supply chain including brands in delivering end-to-end solutions that help organizations mitigate supply chain risk and boost confidence in their sustainable sourcing, brand and marketing claims.
Why choose Intertek for Textile Exchange and GOTS certification?
- Network of global experts in the textile processing industry: environmental, social, and chemical management audits
- Local experts in the countries where your suppliers are located, delivering consistently with precision, pace and passion on a global and local level
- Process management and guidance throughout the entire certification life cycle through our web-based platform SourceClear providing you visibility into your certifications and supporting faster business transactions (Scope Certifications, Transaction Certifications).
Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Partner with Intertek and gain confidence in your sustainable sourcing, brand and marketing claims. With the largest auditor network around the world in more than 100 countries, Intertek can support your organisation's ethical sourcing goals wherever you do business.
Need help or have a question?