Responsible Alpaca Standard (RAS)
The aim of RAS is to safeguard the welfare of alpacas and the ecosystems around them.
Textile Exchange is a global non-profit driving positive impact on climate change across the fashion and textile industry. It guides a growing community of brands, manufacturers, and farmers towards more purposeful production from the very start of the supply chain. Textile Exchange developed several important industry standards, including the Responsible Alpaca Standard which is part of the Responsible Animal Fiber program.
RAS is an international, voluntary standard that addresses animal welfare in the alpaca supply chain and chain of custody of alpaca fiber material from certified farms to the final product.
The RAS goals are to:
- Recognize the best practices of farmers
- Ensure that alpaca fiber comes from farms with a progressive approach to managing their land, and from alpacas that have been treated responsibly
- Create an industry benchmark that will drive improvements in animal care, land management, and social welfare where needed
- Provide a robust chain of custody system from farm to final product so that consumers are confident in the alpaca fiber in the products they choose is truly RAS
How Intertek can help
Intertek is an accredited certification body for GOTS and for the following Textile Exchange standards GRS, RCS, OCS and CCS, including supply chain companies for RDS, and RAF (RWS, RMS, RAS) with a secondary scope (i.e. all RDS sites after the slaughter site and all RAF sites after the farm). We aid all sites in the supply chain including brands in delivering end-to-end solutions that help organizations mitigate supply chain risk and boost confidence in their sustainable sourcing, brand and marketing claims.
Why choose Intertek for Textile Exchange and GOTS certification?
- Network of global experts in the textile processing industry: environmental, social, and chemical management audits
- Local experts in the countries where your suppliers are located, delivering consistently with precision, pace and passion on a global and local level
- Process management and guidance throughout the entire certification life cycle through our web-based platform SourceClear providing you visibility into your certifications and supporting faster business transactions (Scope Certifications, Transaction Certifications).
Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Partner with Intertek and gain confidence in your sustainable sourcing, brand and marketing claims. With the largest auditor network around the world in more than 100 countries, Intertek can support your organisation's ethical sourcing goals wherever you do business.
Need help or have a question?