The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is the worldwide leading textile processing standard for organic fibres, including ecological and social criteria, backed up by independent certification of your textile supply chain.
Many products can become GOTS certified, including yarns, fabrics, clothes, home textiles, mattresses, personal hygiene products, as well as food contact textiles and more (excluding leather products). Having one common standard such as GOTS means textile processors and manufacturers can export their fabrics and garments with one certification that is accepted in all major markets.
The aim of the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is to define requirements to ensure organic status of textiles, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labeling in order to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer.
GOTS certification builds upon four distinctive and unique features:
- Organic Fibres: Organic fibres are natural fibres grown without the use of synthetic pesticides (such as insecticides), or herbicides and GMOs (Genetic Modified Organisms) according to the principles of organic agriculture. Organic agriculture is a production process that sustains the health of ecosystems, soils and people.
- Ecological and Social Criteria: The standard covers the processing, manufacturing, packaging, labelling, trading and distribution of all textiles made from at least 70% certified organic fibres.
- All Processing Stages: All steps in the processing, manufacturing and trading of organic textiles are covered by GOTS. All must be certified to strict ecological and social criteria in order for the product to carry the GOTS label. In this way, the GOTS puts an end to greenwashing.
- Third-Party Certification: On-site inspection and certification of processors, manufacturers and traders is performed by independent Third-Party GOTS accredited Certification Bodies such as Intertek, and forms the basis of the GOTS monitoring system. It serves to provide a credible assurance for the integrity of GOTS certified textiles.
Why GOTS Certification?
You can benefit from a GOTS certification for:
- Risk management for your supply chain
- Third party certification serves as independent external verification versus self-claims
- Dual quality assurance through onsite inspection and product testing
- Provides the credibility and verification of claims that customers expect
How Intertek can help
Intertek is an accredited certification body for GOTS and for the following Textile Exchange standards GRS, RCS, OCS and CCS, including supply chain companies for RDS, and RAF (RWS, RMS, RAS) with a secondary scope (i.e. all RDS sites after the slaughter site and all RAF sites after the farm). We aid all sites in the supply chain including brands in delivering end-to-end solutions that help organizations mitigate supply chain risk and boost confidence in their sustainable sourcing, brand and marketing claims.
Why choose Intertek for Textile Exchange and GOTS certification?
- Network of global experts in the textile processing industry: environmental, social, and chemical management audits
- Local experts in the countries where your suppliers are located, delivering consistently with precision, pace and passion on a global and local level
- Process management and guidance throughout the entire certification life cycle through our web-based platform SourceClear providing you visibility into your certifications and supporting faster business transactions (Scope Certifications, Transaction Certifications).
Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Partner with Intertek and gain confidence in your sustainable sourcing, brand and marketing claims. With the largest auditor network around the world in more than 100 countries, Intertek can support your organisation's ethical sourcing goals wherever you do business.
For more information, please visit the GOTS website at www.global-standard.org
Our Certification Process
1. Application Submission
The first step to becoming certified is to fill out our Client Information Form, to best evaluate your requirements.
Then we provide you with a quotation.
3. Contract Signing and Payment
4. Submit Documents
Client submits documents to Intertek for pre-assessment review.
Audit & Certification
Audit can be done onsite, remotely or hybrid depending on the site's risk level. Good preparation can speed up the certification process.
6. Audit Follow-up (if needed)
In case non-conformance(s) is found.
7. Certification Decision and Scope Certificate issuance in our SourceClear system
Audit results will be reviewed to make a final certification decision.
8. Transaction Certificate (Request & Issuance) throughout the certification cycle
Following the shipment of certified goods to the given standard, request a transaction certificate to provide valid documentation to your customer.