We streamline your route to TCO Certification by managing the required testing and the handing of your certification through TCO Development and offering one of the quickest turnarounds in the industry
What is TCO Certification?
TCO Certification is a third-party certification program that evaluates the sustainability of IT products such as computers, displays, and other electronic devices. The certification is managed by TCO Development, a non-profit organization based in Sweden that was established in 1992.
The TCO certification program is designed to promote sustainability by setting criteria for environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing and product design. To earn the TCO certification, a product must meet specific requirements for energy efficiency, environmentally friendly materials, low electromagnetic emissions, and ease of recycling.
Benefits of TCO Certification
There are several benefits of TCO Certification, both for the environment and for businesses and consumers who purchase IT products:
- Improved environmental sustainability: TCO Certification sets strict requirements for energy efficiency, use of environmentally friendly materials, and ease of recycling, which helps to reduce the environmental impact of IT products.
- Improved social responsibility: The certification program also includes criteria for social responsibility, such as fair working conditions and ethical supply chain management, which helps to ensure that the manufacturing process is responsible and ethical.
- Cost savings: TCO Certified products are designed to be energy-efficient, which can lead to significant cost savings over the lifetime of the product through reduced electricity bills.
- Product quality assurance: TCO Certification provides a rigorous testing and verification process that helps to ensure that the IT products meet high standards of quality and reliability.
- Market recognition: TCO Certification is widely recognized in the IT industry, which can help businesses to differentiate themselves and their products from competitors and appeal to consumers who value sustainability and social responsibility.
Overall, TCO Certification provides a valuable framework for businesses and consumers to make more informed and responsible decisions when it comes to purchasing IT products.
Intertek's TCO Certification Solutions
We are one of only a few organizations accepted by TCO Development, and are accredited by The Swedish Board for Accreditation and Conformity Assessment (SWEDAC) to conduct testing and certification to all current Environmental Labeling Schemes, including TCO ’03, ’99, ’95, ’92, and MPR II and III applications. In most cases Intertek can provide test reporting and verifications within one week of receiving samples.
The Swedish Confederation of Professional Employees (TCO) has, with the assistance of Intertek's Special Measurements Group, developed a series of end user and environmental requirements for IT equipment – including video adapters, monitors, keyboards, computers, peripherals, IT systems and even mobile phones. Certification to these requirements provides manufacturers with a means of demonstrating superior product quality and attention to ergonomics. Many of the TCO Development specifications in use today have their roots in investigations and statistics from Intertek’s laboratories.
The primary requirements of TCO certification concern the safety and health of employees and the environment, including:
- Visual ergonomics and image quality for displays
- Ergonomics of keyboards, printers, mobile phones and furniture
- Magnetic and electrical field emission levels
- Environmental management system for manufacturers, ISO 14001
- Use of hazardous compounds such as brominated flame retardants or mercury and cadmium
- Energy consumption and rapid restart after power down
- Noise levels and chemical emissions