Mexico – Mandatory Standard for Cookware with Non-stick Coating Approved
Vol. 1140 | 19 Mar 2020
The Secretary of Economy of Mexico has published a mandatory standard for cookware with non-stick coating (NOM-225-SCFI-2019). The standard shall come into force on 7 September 2020. Products that are legally manufactured, imported or in transit in accordance with the corresponding bill of lading before 7 September 2020 can be marketed in Mexico while stock lasts.
Here is the summary of NOM-225-SCFI-2019:
- The standard shall apply to utensils intended for food preparation (cooking, frying and heating) with non-stick coating that is in direct contact with food. The base materials (substrate) of the utensils can be aluminum, steel, stainless steel, iron, ceramic, glass or any material derived from the said materials.
- It shall not apply to utensils with non-stick coating for complementary functions during cooking, e.g. scoops, spatulas, ladles.
- Material: Not causing contamination to food
- Nominal capacity not more than 5% less than the labelled value, or nominal diameter within ± 6 mm difference than the labelled value
- Knobs, handles and grips provided
- Handle and grip materials extinguishable within 30 s
- Heavy metal content of food contact materials: Lead ≤ 0.05% and cadmium ≤ 0.01%
- Burnt food not adhering to non-stick coating
- Having non-stick coating of at least 15 µm thick
- Strong adherence of non-stick coating to the substrate; temperature of grips and handles not exceeding 55°C.
- Abrasion: non-stick coating not losing more than 35%
- Thickness of substrate matching the declared value
- Prescribed commercial information in Spanish at least
- Instructions for use with clear and precise indications and warnings for the safe and reliable handling of the product
Conformity assessment requirements
- Conformity assessment shall be carried out by the General Directorate of Standards under the Secretary of Economy, and, where appropriate, by designated accredited or approved certification bodies.
- Certification and verification of products shall be made according to one of the following models:
Type of certification
Certification, verification and monitoring through periodic tests
One year from the date of issue
Certification and verification and monitoring through the quality control system of the production line
Three years from the date of issue
Certification by batch
Validity shall cover the specified quantity of the batch of products only
For additional information please contact:
+852 3760 6361