Colombia – Amendment to Labeling on Footwear and Some Leathergoods
Vol. 862 | 19 Oct 2015
On 22 Sept 2015, the Minister of Commerce, Industry and Tourism published Resolution No. 3024 to amend Article 5.1 of Resolution No. 933, published in 2008 on labeling of footwear and some leathergoods. This resolution will enter into force on 22 Dec 2015. The major amendments are highlighted as follows:
- Clarify that expressions, abbreviations, symbols and pictograms may be used on the labels.
- Remove certain language requiring that the label be stamped, sewn, adhered to, tied to, printed or recorded on the footwear or leather product.
- Allow the label information to adhere on the product’s packaging if the information required on the permanent label cannot be stamped, sewn, stenciled, printed or recorded due to the design of the product or the material from which the product is made.
- Clarify that only the country of origin and composition of the product will be required on a permanent label. Any other information shall be presented on a non-permanent label.
The labeling requirements of footwear and some leathergoods are summarized as below following the amendments:
- The labelling information shall be in Spanish, notwithstanding that the information can also presented additionally in another language. Expressions, abbreviations, symbols and pictograms may be used on label.
- The information shall be indicated on the labels with clear character, visible and easy to read for the consumer.
- The label may include other information, in addition to the required information, provided that it is not misleading, contradictory or confusing.
- The information presented on the label shall be truthful and not misleading or deceptive to the consumer.
- The labelling information may exceptionally be provided on the label adhered to the product packaging if the information required on the permanent label cannot be stamped, sewn, stenciled, printed or recorded due to the design of the product or the material from which the product is made.
The Label Shall Contain the Following Minimum Information:
- Country of origin.
- The composition of the products (e.g., upper, lining and outsole for footwear; coating and lining for leathergoods)
- The registration number or NIT ( importer’s tax identification number) of manufacturer or importer
Remarks: The information of country of origin and composition of product shall be on the permanent label. Any other information shall be presented on non-permanent label.
For questions, please contact: