China Releases Draft Inventory of Existing Cosmetic Ingredients & Prohibited Cosmetic Ingredients List for Public Comments
February 16, 2021
Intertek, a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide, is pleased to support companies in understanding and preparing for the main amendments in the draft Inventory of Existing Cosmetic Ingredients (IECIC) and Prohibited Cosmetics Ingredients list before they become final. On 26 January 2021, China National Institutes for Food and Drug Control (NIFDC) released the draft of the new IECIC and the prohibited cosmetic ingredients list for public comments, which must be accepted by 18 February 2021.
- Total number of existing cosmetic ingredients in China will increase from 8,783 to 8,980
- Restricted ingredients, preservatives, sunscreen agents, colorants, and hair dyes were added
- Ingredients’ highest historical use concentration (registered and approved special use cosmetics and imported non-special use cosmetics) were included
Prohibited Cosmetic Ingredients List
- 17 new cosmetic ingredients were included in the draft inventory (i.e., Phenacetin, Paraformaldehyde, Cyclohexylamine, Imidazole, etc.)
- 13 existing ingredients were adjusted to include their CAS No.
To ensure successful market entry in China, cosmetic businesses should be aware of, and prepared for, the cosmetic ingredient updates to ensure their cosmetic product formulas are compliant and safe for consumer use.
In addition to helping companies understand and comply with regulations around the world, Intertek provides a comprehensive range of services for beauty and personal care products to ensure quality, safety, and efficacy.
Our services include:
- Toxicological Safety Assessments
- Toxicological Profiles of Ingredients
- Registration & Notification of New Cosmetic Ingredients
- Registration & Notification of Domestic/Imported Cosmetic Products
- Labelling Reviews
- Literature Review & Data Collection
- Regulatory Dossiers
- Microbiology & Stability Testing
- Cosmetic Packaging Analysis
- Causality Assessment
- Compliance Solutions
- Regulatory Support
- Sustainability Solutions
Our team of experts are available to address the regulatory and compliance needs of the cosmetics, home, and personal care industry.
If you have any questions or concerns, we’re here to help.
For more information about Intertek’s cosmetic services, please visit:
For Media Information
Global Marketing and Communications Director
T: +1 905 542 2900
For Technical Information
Senior Manager, China
T: +86 21 5339 7903
TOTAL QUALITY. ASSURED.
Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Our network of more than 1,000 laboratories and offices in more than 100 countries, delivers innovative and bespoke Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification solutions for our customers' operations and supply chains. Intertek Total Quality Assurance expertise, delivered consistently with precision, pace and passion, enabling our customers to power ahead safely.