Intertek Mexico's Advanced Green Building
Intertek Mexico is opening a new state-of-the-art environmentally green facility in Mexico City, with a total area of approximately 8,500 square meters (about 91,000 square feet). Relocation of Intertek's existing offices and laboratories in the region to the new building will take place in phases between May and June 2010.
The new headquarters for Intertek Mexico has been designed from the ground up to incorporate the latest in environmentally friendly engineering and design technologies. The large office and laboratory structure is one of the most advanced in Mexico and in the global Intertek network. Key environmental features in the building help reduce energy and water usage, carbon emissions, waste and more.
Green design and engineering features in the new Intertek building include:
- An onsite water treatment plant processes waste water from the Textiles Laboratory for use in the building’s gardens, car wash, cleaning areas and bathrooms.
- “Dry Urinals” technology is used to reduce water waste.
- Elimination of water leakage is done through preventative and corrective maintenance.
Trees and Plants for Carbon Reduction:
- The new building incorporates landscaping so the center of the building is lush with greenery and the entire structure is surrounded by green areas, including trees and shrubs.
- Phase II of construction provides for the roof of the building to be covered in green vegetation, utilizing advanced “green roof” technologies.
- Existing trees on the site were preserved and protected, further adding to carbon emission reduction capabilities at the site.
Waste Reduction and Management:
- Clear policies and procedures are in place for infrastructure management of hazardous and non-hazardous waste.
- Signage at the building is made from recycled materials.
- Biodegradable products are used for cleaning and maintenance.
Energy Conservation and Efficiency:
- Energy efficient lighting is used throughout the building for increased energy saving. The interior of the building is characterized by light colored materials, with open floor plans and natural light. These features take advantage of building’s orientation to the sun, which cuts artificial lighting costs while enhancing ambient light, cutting energy costs and reducing the environmental impact.
- To encourage use of alternative transportation, a bicycle parking place is available for employees and visitors.
- The company culture at the facility promotes sound practices and habits to promote sustainability.
- The company conducts continuous monitoring of wastewater and atmospheric emissions.
Services offered at the facility by Intertek Mexico include environmental, chemical, microbiological and petroleum testing, textiles and restricted substances testing, electrical and electronic product testing, systems and product certification services, food safety, government services, plus auditing, factory evaluation, and inspection services.