EU – Regulation Amending and Correcting Regulation (EU) No 10-2011 on Plastic Food Contact Materials and Articles Approved
Vol. 928 | September 07, 2016
On 25 August 2016, the Regulation (EU) 2016/1416 was published by the European Commission to amend and correct Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food. It clarifies and corrects some definitions and testing conditions, sets new migration limits and updates the authorized substances for manufacturing plastic food contacting materials.
This Regulation shall be effective from 14 September 2016. Plastic materials and articles complying with Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 as applicable before 14 September 2016, may be placed on the market until 14 September 2017, and may remain on the market until exhaustion of stocks.
The provisions below should be applied from 14 September 2018:
- Regulation (EU) No 10/2011: Annex II Restrictions on materials and articles, Point 1.
The specific migration limits are amended:
Specific migration limit
(mg/kg food or food simulant)
*2 Lowered from 25
- Regulation (EU) No 10/2011, Annex III Food simulants, Table 2.
The specific assignment of food simulants to below foods for migration testing of materials and articles not yet in contact with food are updated.
- 04.01 Fruit, fresh or chilled: A. unpeeled and uncut; B. peeled and/or cut
- 04.04 Vegetables, fresh or chilled: A. unpeeled and uncut; B. peeled and/or cut
- 04.05 Processed vegetables: B. Fresh vegetables, peeled or cut
The Regulation EU 10-2011 details can be reviewed at: http://www.intertek.com/food/contact/eu-10-2011/
For more information, please contact:
852 2173 8637