EU REACH – New Restriction Published for C9-C14 PFCAs under Entry 68 of Annex XVII to REACH
Vol. 1267 | August 17, 2021
On 4 Aug 2021, the European Commission Published Commission Regulation (EU) 2021/1297 to amend entry 68 of Annex XVII to REACH (EC) No 1907/2006 to newly restrict perfluorocarboxylic acids containing 9 to 14 carbon atoms in the chain (C9-C14 PFCAs), their salts and their related substances.
This new restriction is to replace entry 68 of Annex XVII to REACH on PFOA, it salts and PFOA-related substances as these are now regulated under the POPs regulation (EU) 2019/1021.
This regulation shall enter into force on 25 February 2023.
- Linear and branched perfluorocarboxylic acids of the formula CnF2n+1-C(= O)OH where n = 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13 (C9-C14 PFCAs), including their salts, and any combinations thereof;
- Any C9-C14 PFCA-related substance having a perfluoro group with the formula CnF2n+1- directly attached to another carbon atom, where n = 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13, including their salts and any combinations thereof;
- Any C9-C14 PFCA-related substance having a perfluoro group with the formula CnF2n+1- that it is not directly attached to another carbon atom, where n = 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14 as one of the structural elements, including their salts and any combinations thereof.
- CnF2n+1-X, where X = F, Cl, or Br where n = 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14, including any combinations thereof,
- CnF2n+1-C(= O)OX' where n> 13 and X'=any group, including salts.
Definition of C9-C14 PFCAs, their salts and related substances:
The following substances are excluded from this definition
- C9-C14 PFCAs, their salts and related substances shall not be manufactured, or placed on the market as substances on their own from 25 February 2023.
- From 25 February 2023, the concentration of sum of C9-C14 PFCAs and their salts shall be less than 25 ppb, and the concentration of sum of C9-C14 PFCA-related substances shall be less than 260 ppb where they are present in:
- Another substance, as constituents
Note: The restriction on paragraph 2 has different effective dates for some specific items. Please refer to the regulation for details.
A link to the Regulation is below: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32021R1297&from=EN
For more information, please contact: