U.S. –California Bureau of Household Goods and Services Name to Appear on Furniture Flammability Labels Starting Jan. 1, 2020
Vol. 1118 | November 20, 2019
On January 1, 2019, the California Bureau of Electronic and Appliance Repair, Home Furnishings and Thermal Insulation (BEARHFTI) officially became the California Bureau of Household Goods and Services (BHGS).
The name change was enacted when Governor Jerry Brown signed SB 1483 in September 2018. The new bureau holds jurisdictional authority over the following industries:
- Household Movers
- Electronic Service Dealers
- Appliance Service Dealers
- Furniture and Bedding Manufacturers
- Furniture and Bedding Wholesalers
- Furniture and Bedding Importers
- Furniture and Bedding Retailers
- Custom Upholsterers
- Bedding Sanitizers
- Supply Dealers
- Thermal Insulation Manufacturers
- Service Contract Sellers
- Service Contract Administrators
- Service Contract Obligors
Effective January 1, 2020, the revised Bureau name has to be used on furniture flammability (TB117-2013) labels.
An example of revised label is shown below, other revised label examples can be reviewed at https://www.bhgs.dca.ca.gov/industry/label_examples.pdf
Law and TB 117-2013 Flammability Label with flame retardant Chemical Statemen
For questions, please contact Dr. Stella Xingyu Li (email@example.com, +1- 503-351-9612) or Dr. Pratik Ichhaporia (firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-847-212-8273).