Indonesia Revises Indonesian National Standard (SNI) for Melamine Food and Drink Utensils
Vol. 868 | November 03, 2015
The Ministry of Industry of Indonesia has published Regulation No.77/M-IND/PER/9/2015 to revise the application of Indonesia National Standard (SNI) for melamine food and drink utensils. This Regulation enters into force immediately and revokes Regulation No.20/M-IND/PER/2/2012. This new Regulation has clarified the certification requirements and raw materials of melamine food and drink utensils.
Here is the highlight of the clarification and additional information of the new Regulation:
- Manufacturers or importers shall apply for the SPPT-SNI (Product Certification for the Compliance of Indonesian National Standard) from LSPro (Product Certification Body) through a Certification System No.5 as follows:
- conformance of the testing of SNI 7322:2008 (Melamine – Food and Drink Equipment) and obtaining SPPT-SNI.
- production audit of ISO 9001:2008, or its revision.
- Demonstrate compliance with this SNI standard via:
- LSPro or testing laboratory that has been accredited by KAN (National Accreditation Body of Indonesia) with the scope of Melamine – Food and Drink Equipment, and appointed by the Minister.
- an overseas laboratory, which has been accredited by an accreditation body with the scope that has a mutual/multilateral recognition agreement (MRA/MLA) with KAN, or which is an member of APLAC or ILAC and designated by the Minister.
- The implementation of production audit to ISO 9001:2008, or its revision, shall be done by:
- self-declaration of the implementation of production audit of ISO 9001:2008, or its revision; or
- certification issued by an institution (LSSMM) which has been accredited by KAN or other accreditation body of other countries that has signed a mutual/multilateral recognition agreement (MRA/MLA) with KAN.
- In addition to complying with the requirements of SNI 7322:2008, melamine ware is also required to include the following information:
- SNI mark which should be embossed on the melamine ware and easily to be read.
- raw material of the melamine ware:
- MF for melamine which is made from condensation of melamine with formaldehyde;
- UF for melamine which is made from condensation of urea with formaldehyde;
- FF for melamine which is made from condensation of phenolic with formaldehyde; or
- RF for melamine which is made from condensation of composite among three with formaldehydes.
- Manufacturers or importers are obliged to report implementation of production and import activities of melamine ware to the Directorate General of Industrial Development every 6 months by submission in written form containing the following:
- Identity of the company that manufactures and/or imports melamine ware;
- Type of melamine ware;
- Amount of melamine ware;
- Country of origin for imported melamine ware;
- Address of the warehouse for imported melamine ware; and
- Proof of compliance for the application of SNI.
For additional information please contact:
852 2173 8655