China – GB 31701-2015 Covering Infant and Children’s Textile Products Effective June 2016
Vol. 832 | June 15, 2015
The Standardization Administration of China announced that GB 31701-2015 “Safety technical code for infants and children textile products” will come into effect on June 1, 2016. The transition period of implementation is 2 years. Any product what was manufactured before June 1, 2016, and met the requirements of relevant standards, will be allowed to continue to being sold until May 31, 2018.
GB 31701-2015 applies to infant and children’s textiles sold domestically in China. It does not cover items such as soft or stuffed toys, textile crafts or art work, disposable sanitary products, handbags, suitcases, backpacks, umbrellas, carpets, rugs and professional sportswear.
Textile products for infants — Textile products that are worn or used by infants at and below 36 months of age
Textile products for children — Textile products that are worn or used by children of 3 years to 14 years of age
Quality requirements stated in GB 31701-2015:
- General provisions:
- Safety technical requirements for infant and children’s textiles are classified as Type A, B and C.
- Textile products for infants shall comply with safety requirements of Type A; products with direct contact to skin shall at least comply with safety requirements of Type B; products without direct contact to skin shall at least comply with safety requirements of Type C.
- Textile products for infants and children should comply with the requirements of GB 18401 and GB 31701 at same time.
- On the label for textile products for infants, this standard code along with “textile products for infants” shall be claimed in simplified Chinese such as GB 31701 婴幼儿用品. On the label for textile products for children, this standard code and the appropriate safety category shall be claimed, such as GB 31701 Type A, GB 31701 Type B or GB 31701 Type C.
- Requirements of colourfastness to wet rubbing
- Requirements of heavy metal (total lead, total cadmium)
- Requirements of Phthalates
- Filling materials:
- Textile fibre filling shall comply with the corresponding safety requirements of GB 18401
- Down and feather filling shall comply with not only the corresponding safety requirements of in GB 18401, but also the microbiological requirements specified in GB/T 17685
- Attached components:
- Attachment strength for the textile products for infants
- Requirements of sharp points and sharp edges
- Requirements of cords and drawstrings
- Needles and other metal sharp objects are not allowed in the package for the textile products for infants and children.
- Needles and other metal sharp objects are not allowed on the textile products for infants and children
- Sewing position for the permanent labels of infant products
For more information contact:
Ms. Dora Tang
Tel: +86 21 6091 7076
Ms. Liu Hui Li
Tel: +86 20 2820 9274
Mr. Howard Xing
Tel: +86 22 8371 2820
Ms. Megan Liu
Tel:+1 847 871 1034