U.S. – CPSC Amends 16 CFR 1230 Safety Standard for Frame Child Carriers
Vol. 1327 | September 29, 2022
On Sept 1, 2022, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) published a direct final rule in the Federal Register amending 16 CFR Part 1230, Safety Standard for Frame Child Carriers. The direct final rule replaces in 16 CFR 1230, reference to the ASTM F2549-14a, previous version of the standard, with a reference to the ASTM F2549-22, current version of the standard.
This direct final rule will become effective on Dec 3, 2022, unless the CPSC receives a significant adverse comment by Oct 3, 2022. Frame child carriers manufactured on or after Dec 3, 2022, will have to meet the requirements in the ASTM F2549-22 standard. In addition, the Certification, per 16 CFR 1110, of the frame child carriers manufactured on and after Dec 3, 2022 shall be based on testing to the ASTM F2549-22 standard.
Substantive revisions to the ASTM F2549-22 standard:
- Additional flammability requirements for fabric components of the frame carrier and specify that only fabrics that are Class 1 per 16 CFR 1610 shall be used.
- Expansion of the flammability requirements to the non-toy accessories sold with a frame child carrier.
- Additional dynamic strength test for the evaluation of system that attaches to frame carrier
- Clarification to leg opening tests to avoid confusion to carrier testing
- Modification to stability test requirements
- Increase of applied torque in Torque for Removal of Protective Component Test
- Additional Warning Statement label requirements for Marking and Labeling guidelines
The final rule can be viewed at: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/09/01/2022-18786/safety-standard-for-frame-child-carriers
A copy of the ASTM F2549-22 standard can be purchased from: https://www.astm.org/F2549-22.html
For questions, please contact Dr. Pratik Ichhaporia (firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 847 212 8273)